Are there motorcycle grade tyres for bicycles?

How do large tread mtb tires compare with motorcycle tyres?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

This is very much like asking about how the tires supplied on a Toyota Corolla compare to the tires on a Formula 1 race car. Answer: It is like comparing apples to blueberries. It is a stupid comparison.

• I agree..but the question I really wanted to ask is if there are mtb tyres that are as puncture resistant as a motorcycle tire... This is for a powerful ebike so weight doesn't matter.

• Login to reply the answers
  • David
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

I don’t understand what you’re asking about.

Bicycle tires, even the toughest DH tires, are a lot thinner, lighter and weaker than motorcycle tires.

But that’s OK, since it’s near impossible to put as much stress on a bicycle tire as on a motorcycle tire.

Bicycle tires, even the toughest DH tires, suffer flats more often than motorcycle tires. But as far as traction and cornering is concerned bicycle tires do OK for their use.

Edit:

Ah, it's you.

First your suspension is bottoming out, now you feel your tires are letting you down.

What's happening is that the world is trying to tell you that if you wan't something that can be ridden like a motorcycle, you need to get something that's built like a motorcycle.

There are reinforced ebike tires for road use, but I'm not aware of any reinforced E-MTB tires.

If you're stubborn enough, you can have wheel built with bicycle hubs and motorcycle rims.

it probably won't work though. Partly b/c a quick search indicates that motorcycle tires don't go bigger than 21", Partly b/c those tires are probably too wide to fit in your frame/fork. And it'll drop your BB.

If you're stubborn enough, you can cut the bead off a road tire, and fit it inside like a liner.

This is assuming what you're suffering from are penetration flats. If you're getting pinch flats, the correct inflation pressure, or possibly a tubeless conversion should pretty much fix that.

• I'm asking if there is a mountain bike tyre that punctures less often like a motorcycle tyre

• 7 months ago

Simple: they don’t.

Motorcycle tyres are constructed with little regard to weight penalty, as they must be able to handle forces which would rapidly destroy even the most robust MTB pedal bicycle tyres.

MTB tyres don’t have to carry the same weight load. They don’t have to stay intact under hard acceleration, braking and high speed cornering. They’re nowhere near as puncture-resistant as motorcycle tyres, and most bicycle tyres are not designed for tubeless use. They also don’t have to be manufactured to meet the rigorous and extensive safety standards and mandatory quality control checks as for motorcycle tyres.

• ...Show all comments
    • Robsteriark
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

“Patterned after”. Not the same. My nephew rides a pedal cycle patterned after a stereotypical Harley D. That doesn’t make it a real Harley. In any case some fat-wheel bicycles can no doubt take motorcycle tyres., but motorcycles can’t use bicycle tyres unless very low powered (e.g. Mobylette/Solex)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.