I'm18 years old and I want to become an Actress , I want to get a PhD in microbiology I don't know how to pursue my acting career.?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

One of the many challenging things with growing up is learning how to make choices and set priorities. To be completely frank with you - you cannot have a serious acting career and work on the Ph.D. at the same time. One will have to take priority and the other will suffer because of it.

So why do you want to be an actress? I ask because many people have very unrealistic ideas of what is involved in attempting a professional acting career. It's not just going to a bunch of open auditions hoping to get "disoovered" or something. For most professional work you have to be invited to audition, usually through an agent. And you can't just hire an agent, it's more like they choose you. To attempt a professional acting career you're basically starting and running your own business where you are the product being marketed and sold. You need to understand the casting process (agents, breakdowns, casting directors); legal issues (contracts, unions, taxes); marketing (head shots, resumes, show reel, website, social media) and networking. A serious acting career requires a HUGE investment of time, effort, and money. It's not something that can be done on the side while you work on a Ph.D. The demands of a Ph.D. are not flexible enough to allow you to go on last-minute auditions or take weeks/months off to act in a project and producers/directors are not going to rearrange their scheduling to fit your academic schedule.

And if you are serious about an acting career, why do you need a Ph.D. in microbiology? It's not going to help you with an acting career. When attempting a professional acting career, it's important you are able to support yourself with an "along side" job that gives you the flexibility to put your acting career first. Being a researcher does not give you that flexibility.

You can certainly try some acting on the side while you work on your Ph.D. Maybe do a role in a community theater production or work on a student film if you can find people willing to cast you. But otherwise, you're going to have to do some research to understand the realities of attempting an acting career and what that involves and then do some self-examination as to how you personally are going to choose to define "success" and what your priorities are in your life.

Good luck.

Source(s): A professional actor married to a Ph.D. neuroscience. I know what is involved with both careers.
  • Athena
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You may not be able to do both right now as your PhD will take an awful lot of your time.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Just study drama while your pursuing your phd in science. You can do it as a hobby and get some training too and find out whether your any good at that

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Get a PhD in Drama and pursue your dream. Just do it, trust me. It might seem silly going for a degree in Drama or such, but even if it doesn’t work out, it’s still worth it. I know a few interviewers and when they see that an applicant took a course in Drama and pursued their dreams to become an actor, they absolutely love it. So, even if you don’t become good in acting, you’ve got a good shot at anything. Follow your passion.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Stoo
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

These are two wildly divergent paths. Go into the sciences and do some acting on the side as a hobby. If you prove any good at acting you might find career paths there - but the stereotype of actors bussing tables at restaurants is very real. Most people with dreams of acting never make enough money to pay the bills, and the labor of love wears out with time. Unfortunately, this is doubly true for women, who struggle to find roles the older they get.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.