Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 6 months ago

What does it mean when a bank has a CAP on storage fees during a repo?

My car was repoed may 28th and I called the repo company to get a total, needless to say the receptionist was nasty and all she said was there is a CAP. Idk what that mean but on my redemption letter it just states I will owe a repo company $100 processing fee. Does or has anyone dealt with this?

• Never
    Favorite Answer

Sounds like they stop charging storage fees after so long.

For example, $30 a day for 45 days would be $1350. If their cap is 45 days, it stops accruing after $1350.

The repo fee is often extra. Never heard one as low as $100.

Storage fee is paid to a 3rd party, but charged to you.

I have not heard of caps.

Similarly, if your car is sold at auction, the auction fees will be charged to you. And a clean up fee if the lender determines to have it cleaned and many do. The nice cars may have a full detail while cheap ones, just all junk removed & vacuumed.

A friend of mine worked for Toyota Motor Credit for years way back when so I heard lots of stories.

Back then, their minimum repo fee was around $250 I think. More for hard to find cars. I never heard of a repo processing fee but it would not surprise me.

If your storage fee is $30 a day for 18 days plus a $350

repo fee and the $100, that is at least $990 over and above however much behind you were. Plus late fees.

• Tonya6 months agoReport

The bank charged me $650 for the repo. But it said on the bottom I will owe a $100 processing fee to the repo company. The loan has been reinstated and picking up the car tomorrow. I was just wondering about the CAP. Thanks so much for your answer.

No, I have not dealt with it but when the storage fees get to be astronomical, they stop charging so that you don't end up owing millions.

You have two choices.

1. You can ask the bank

2. You can ask strangers on the internet

Choose wisely.