How much will electric heat cost per month for ONE room?

We are buying a house. Most of the house is heated by natural gas but the front office ( it used to be a used car lot) is heated by an electric register on the floor. How much should I expect that electric heat to increase my electric bill in the winter? I live in northern Michigan so it gets cold.

Fwiw- The entire house has new insulation, energy saving windows and an insulated roof.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

It's a lot cheaper if you go infrared whatever you use

• 6 months ago

there is no easy predicting. In part, it depends on how harsh the coming winter is and on the directional exposure of the house to frozen winds from the northwest. And if there's a windbreak [dense fir trees?] in the way of those winds.

• In
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

For the sake of convenience lets bypass all of the assorted variables and assume that the electric heater is 1000 watts output and has no thermostat so it is running continuously. 1000 watts is 1 kilowatt. 1 kilowatt times 24 hours equals 24 kilowatt hours used per day. 24 kilowatt hours times 30 days in a monthly billing period equals 720 kilowatt hours per month. If your utility company charges $0.08 per kilowatt hour it would come to $57.60 a month. Assuming no one is sleeping in that room*, your cheapest option is to extend the gas line to that room and install a gas wall heater. Something in the 18,000-24,000 BTU range should do nicely. They have thermostats (thermo-couples to be more precise) to control the temperature and work even during power outages. Don't forget to install a smoke/carbon monoxide detector in that room. If someone is sleeping in that room, then have a duct (or two) extended to that room by an HVAC contractor. The existing furnace may need to be upgraded depending on his calculations.

*The NFPA does not allow gas fired appliances in sleeping rooms.

• roderick_young
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

He's shown at least the method for calculating, and stated his assumptions. I find this answer useful.

• 6 months ago

Depends on the r values of the windows, I assume it's mostly windows. Might want to replace the "register" with a fan forced unit with a programmable thermostat.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • M.
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Get the electrical information from the manufacturers plate. It may be inside, under the cover.

• 6 months ago

What size room?

How well insulated is the room from the rest of the structure and outside?

How much temperature difference will yo try to maintain between that room and outside of that room?

How efficient is the electric heater to be used?

What is the local cost of electricity?

ALL of those need to be answered to compute cost.

Frankly, extending the gas heating to the room will probably pay for itself in less than a year.

• 6 months ago

That's good that you have some energy saving features installed. I can't tell you how much one room will cost, but I can tell you that I once rented a 500 square foot garage-turned-into-an-apartment and in the very cold winter months, my bill was about $120/month. But that included the power company's $50/month fee and some taxes. So without fees and taxes, I'd say about $60/month to heat a 500 square foot place. If you are talking just one room, I'd guess it may cost you about $20-30/month on top of the rest of your electric bill.

• 6 months ago

Pretty much impossible to say. You didn't say how big the room is, or how well insulated it is, or how warm you want to keep it. With all that info, someone might be able to take a guess.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

No one can estimate the cost. However, as you know, electricity is expensive. I would plan on extending the gas fired heating to this area in the future.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.