Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 6 months ago

Lending tack out yes or no?

Iv lent my saddle to a woman for her horse just until she had sale fitter out which was going to be a week. Now saddle fitter isn’t coming until 4 weeks.

Said new horse is very stressy.... she said previous day he was so stressy he was prancing around and she was worried they were going to end up in the ditch.

Am I being dramatic to worry about weather my saddle is going to be scratched? I feel petty but it cost me £1000 and is immaculate. I don’t want her hacking in it if he’s not relaxed. I can tolerate the school but do not want my saddle being scraped down a gate or a ditch. What do I say?

• Eva
    Favorite Answer

Tell her you'd rather she didn't use your saddle to hack out in. Apparently, if he's still "stressy" it doesn't fit him either. She can do ground work with him in the meantime, and perhaps he needs more turn out time as well.

Honestly, I am also very anal about my tack and do not lend it out for this reason. I've had tack returned to me in horrible condition or had to beg for MONTHS just to get it back in the past. To me, it is not worth the risk.

Many people (not all, but unfortunately a good amount) do not respect other people's property just as they would their own, so yes, there's a chance the saddle could end up with blemishes even from just regular use. Some people don't think it's a big deal either, especially if they don't take particularly excellent care of their own tack. If it bothers you this much, especially seeing as it cost you a lot of money, I'd get it back ASAP.

• Jeff

Never loan anything you can't replace.

• Snezzy

You need that saddle back. You need it RIGHT NOW. You need to get all bothered about needing it back right now. Get it back.

We have lent tack and books that never got returned, we have had tack get ruined. I cannot begin to tell you the damage to our equipment, our animals and our finances because we were trying to be good to people we thought were our friends.

• Snezzy

feed him this grass." (It's a handful of pine needles. Some people!)

• *****

Just tell her you need the saddle back now. Say that you were okay to lend it out for a week, but not a month, and she'll need to make other arrangements.

• Sal*UK

Honestly, I wouldn't have lent it. He could be stressing because the saddle is not a good fit.

• htxx26 months agoReport

No he’s been like it in his custom made saddle but old owner sold it before she put him on loan.
      I do think he’s cold backed to be honest, because he’s only stressy under saddle.
      How do I get out of this