Why HTML is used for World Wide Web? Why doc file or txt file is not used?

I searching for answers for my students - Why .doc file or .txt file is not used for WWW? Why HTML is required to invent for WWW?

I have searched google few times but failed to get the answer. Please help me with some resources.

Thank you.

They aren't the same thing, html is a language. A way of communicating.

The .html extension just lets us and the programs using it (such as a web browser) know it's going to contain the language.

Web browsers can open TXT files fine as plain text. Just find a website with readme file or whatever and it will load fine.

No idea why they won't. Doc yet? But HTML is most used format cor thw wbe

First of all you are nowhere near qualified to have students.

.doc, and .txt files are NOT used to make websites.

I would be happy to explain about what you want to know, but you, and your students are too far behind, so none of you would be able to understand me.

I can explain what you want to know in about a couple of minutes.

I am really sorry. Maybe you should find something else to do with your time.

documents are primarily intended to be read by humans. HTML is intended to be processed by computer with its output read by humans. A markup language like HTML is ideally suited for this. Domain specific markup languages have been around since the 1960s, the WWW is just another type of domain. You could also use something like JSON or YAML but those weren't invented when the WWW was conceived.

HTML is universal so others code can be inserted to HTML like PHP, CSS, MySQL. Everything is in a codes (it's a computer language). So later it can be publish for the world wide web (WWW).

Unlike DOC and TXT or other office app extension, They will not understand for example what is CSS or mySQL. Microsoft didn't design it to do a programming tools.

• Todd

HTML stands for hypertext markup language. It's based on the concept of links. The code is "underneath" the visual, something that is not easy to do with the classic document file format. It has to be interpreted with a browser to render properly.

http is "hypertext transfer protocol", which sort of speaks for itself.

• software6 months agoReport

I was looking something like you said "It's based on the concept of links. The code is "underneath" the visual, something that is not easy to do with the classic document file format. " - Thank you.

• EddieJ

Sometimes things are just accidents of history. You seem to be focusing on the extensions.

An HTML file *IS* a txt file -- it can be edited with Notepad.

You can display a text file with a browser.

A browser is NOT required to pay attention to every tag in an HTML file.

At minimum the markup language needs to do 2 things:

1) Allow SOME formatting of the text, and

2) Allow a clickable "hyperlink" to somewhere else.

So, HTML did that from the beginning.

• EddieJ

That's just the way that a certain author decided to phrase thing.

Do you think a .doc file is "easy"?

HTML has many more capabilities. The main one is using URLs within a document to include or link to other parts of the document. How would you create a drop down menu in a text document? How could you change fonts and colors in different parts of document? If you look at the latest word processing documents other than DOC, you will see that they actually are HTML. Change the file type to ZIP and within the folder you will see the various parts in HTML.

.doc and .txt are text based. .doc is owned by Microsoft. HTML was developed for use on the web and programs were then written to read this markup language. HTML and HTMLn are more universal with the addition of CSS and will provide more than .doc or .txt can develop. Example, you cannot do CSS in Word. You can't do pictures in Notepad.

Not sure you googled well, I found this under the HTML development on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML

• software6 months agoReport

Thank you sir, I have read your link your page before but closed to see the history and how HTML works as I learned in past. I was actually searching to answer my students with something like "It's based on the concept of links... that is not easy to do with the classic document file format. "

Do you want websites to look nice or do you just want a wall of text for a website?