How soon after getting a job can I rent out a flat? (I’m in the uk if that makes any difference)?

I’ve never had a job before but I want to move out of home. I think my credit rating is low, not sure if it would me renting a flat? If I were to get a job, how long would it take for me to be able to get a flat? Would they need to see payments from this job for more than one month (considering it would be my first job) or would I be able to get one with my first pay check?

If you have good credit and enough savings then maybe a year down the road.

• Maxi

That would depend on where you are renting from directly from a landlord or more likely from a letting agency, how old you are ( you have to be 18yrs old) you will need saved money of one months rent and security deposit ( normally equal to one months rent) which you will have to pay up front before you get the keys ( if you are accepted) many letting agencies charge registration fees ranging from £30- £500 ( depending on where in the UK) and 'most' will want to see at least 3 months of payslips

• letting fees ban came into force 1st june 2019 landlord/agent cant charge any fees

• Stoo

They'd want to see proof of stable income, which you won't have for a bit. At least 3 pay stubs. And you'd want that too because sometimes you start a job only to have it suck or find that you suck at it, in which cause you might be unemployed again. You don't want to have the responsibility of an apartment that you can't afford.

when you get your credit rating up, save enough for 1st month rent, last month (sometimes) and deposit as well as 6 months expenses in case of a job loss...with a plan to deal with it until the lease expires.

When you can afford it. first do some research, looking to see how much rent is in the area you want to live. Can your current salary/wage pay for that? be sure to include utilities, parking etc which may be extra.

Then call the place and ask how much to move in. This is important in that many places require a first month, last month AND a security deposit at the time of move in. You would need to save up this amount before you move in. at the same time as this call, you can ask any other questions such as security in the area, rules about noise, etc.

A rule of thumb is you should have 5-6 months of rent in the bank before you move in. You may end up paying 3 months up front, and then need money for deposits on utilities, furniture, and even dishes.