Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 6 months ago

Military Question?

So I was planning to join the military but I haven t decided which branch. Anyway my question is about credit, I have credit card debt and slowly paying off but always on time with my payment, my credit score is low but not bad! My gf however has a lot of unpaid medical bills when she was younger, and has student loans that needs to be paid. We planned on getting married next year before I join the military but i don t know if her low credit score will affect my chances in joining the military after getting married? We also have 2 young kids, and my gf is working 2 part time jobs so we can pay off our debt. I just want to make sure they will be alright before I join. Serious answer only please. Does her credit/debt affect mine in joining the military?

It s has always been my dream to join the military and I have to join before I pass the age requirements

Your GF is a non-factor until you get married. Since she would disqualify you right now with dependents and her credit problems, you have to do this early on alone.

• Jason

You won't be allowed to join if you get married. Too many dependents for a first-term enlistee.

Girl friends do not count against you one way or the other. It is YOUR debt they are going to look at so do not mention your girl friend. You need to talk to a recruiter and see how it will all work out if you get married. It may not matter either way. You are a single dad now so that works against you and if you are married with a big family debt that will work against you too. It might be best for you both to work hard, pay down the debt, get married and then talk to a recruiter.

• Bill-M

As your girl friend, her dept has no bearing on the Military. As your Wife that is a different matter.

One item that will keep you out of the military is owing a lot of money.

Another item that will keep you out is the number of Dependents. You will have THREE and two is the limit.

The following are the basic requirements for enlisting:

You must be a U.S. citizen or a resident alien.

Be between the ages of 17-34. ...

Have a high school diploma.

Have no more than two dependents.

Take and pass the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test.

Your student loans are definitely gonna be a problem. Those are gonna have to be cancelled before you could ever begin to consider a government job. Otherwise you'd probably sell all their secrets to China for a profit.

• zeno

Debt has no effect on getting in the military.

It may cause problems paying the bills and

Keeping you away from your kids and wife

To be. Lots of women leave their man while

He is serving over seas or away for months

Or years at a time. If she can't run the family

Without you around to do things for her. It

Might be a mistake. Life is a gamble. It's up

To you to think about. How self reliant and

Independent is she capable of being? Some

Girls just can't deal with it or survive alone

Without a man. Good luck

Her credit will not affect you joining, you need the right ASVAB score and pass MEPS. What will also is if you are not married, you will be a single parent and you will not be able to join unless you sign over custody. If you are married then it isn’t an issue.