Jenny
Lv 6
Jenny asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 6 months ago

Would you be annoyed if your spouse just unilaterally started calling your daughter a different name?

Our daughter has her legal name and a nickname we called her from birth. Now all of a sudden, she's being called a third name that isn't even a typical nickname of her real name and our daughter is getting used to it. I never agreed to this and I think it's completely rude to change her name without even involving me.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

What’s the old nickname and what has he changed it to?

I would be upset by this too and I would explain that I would prefer the old nickname. Lay out reasons why you prefer it and let him know how you feel about changing it after so many years.

• Jenny
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

Yeah, I did that and was answered with, "I'm doing it...tough."

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Hopefully I would have good enough communication with my spouse to understand why he started using a different name. I would hopefully recognize that the point of using a different name wan’t to annoy me so I wouldn’t take personal offense by it. Hopefully I would trust my spouse enough to know he wasn’t trying to exclude me from any relationship with our child by using a special nickname. Hopefully I could recognize that a child can respond to different names from different people and not view it as a personal threat of some kind.

And if my spouse was using a different name to purposely annoy me and exclude me from our child’s life or if I felt threatened by such action, then I’d recognize there are a lot more serious issues in our relationship that need to be addressed and I would work at addressing them.

• Jenny
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

No, it's not that. We moved to an area with a lot of Arabs and realized her name sounds a lot like an Arab name.

• 6 months ago

Nobody is changing her name. He's given her a little nickname.

If you're that upset over a nickname, you need help

• Jennifer Danielle
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

I understand not wanting to say her name out of privacy is it something like her name is Gwendolyn you guys agreed on Gwen but he calls her Susie?

• 6 months ago

No that wouldn't bother me

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Becky
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

Its strange. Have you asked him seriously why he has started calling her a new name?

• Jenny
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

I know exactly why. The nickname turns out to be similar to an Arabic name. There are a lot of Arabs where we moved to. It is too close for comfort. I don't see an issue.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

it can be a nick name

• Jenny
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

As I said, she already had a nickname that we agreed upon.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.