Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 months ago

US grocery stores? Are there stores in the US which sell Just the shells off of shrimps? I would like to use them for tasty broth. Which?

major grocery stores do this?

What utter rubbish you will not make any thing tasty from just Shrimp shells

Now Lobster shells and crab shell which are used in Bisque soups still have a portion of the lobster or crab meat plus a court bullion as a base.

Their is basically sod all keratin in the shrimp shells so you need to add ground up shrimp also a medium cream as well plus a bullion as a base other wise it will just be hot water with just bits of thin thin shell in it.

And a small glass of a good quality brandy as well for extra flavour!

• Mj

You can buy dried fish flakes in most any major grocery.

Some of the larger stores, the ones with a large fresh fish and seafood market inside (like Wegmans) might shuck some of the shrimp they sell but would not sell the shells. You could ask the department manager if it's possible to save them for you and even offer to pay something. My guess is they will say they can't, for liability issues.

A local fresh fish market might be willing to look the other way if you slip them some cash.

• denise

If you have a good fishmonger, they may sell / give you some shrimp shells, they'll probably have some left from the prepared shrimps they sell.

I've known some that sell clam juice / stock to be used for Chowder e.t.c.

I've never seen them. Save your shells for broth like you do your chicken bones! Freeze them in a ziplock baggie until needed.

• Never thought of saving my shrimp shells - I don't really have enough to do that. But I do save all my chicken junk in a bag in the freezer and my mushroom trimmings - both for stock. Doing it with shrimp is a great idea.

You would probably not find just shells for sale.

A store that gets in shell on shrimp will sell them that way.

Your best bet would be to try a wholesaler

Shrimp shells are used to flavor and provide color to the fake crab and fake lobster. So there is a market that the produces sell to.

Possibly try Walmart. I'm not sure of any US grocery store / place that sells Shrimp Shells by them selves. If you really want the shells just buy the shrimp and use the shells, the shrimp might be great for something else later.

By the way, if you do believe you'll find Shrimp shells by them selves I'd suggest going to one of the Walmart Grocery Stores, the ones that are specifically just huge Grocery Stores.

• No grocery stores would sell those. Possibly a big fish market, but even that is doubtful. Peeling shrimp is a lot of work and it's not usually done at the store, so stores won't have shells to sell. Another possibility would be a large Asian or Filipino market.