April
Lv 5
April asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

If a stray cat growls and hisses, does that mean it has rabies?

There has been a black cat with kittens outside my house and I took food/water out to them. The mother always growls and hisses even if I just make eye contact with it. Is this rabies? If so, can it be spread from mother to kittens?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Matt
    Lv 4
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

No its normal defemsive behavior. A healthy housecat will growl and hiss at something it sees as a threat

• 6 months ago

No. I feed a bunch of feral cats for years. Some over 10 years now. They still growl and hiss if I come too close to them. They can get really pissed if you go near their babies. But the babies you must get otherwise you'll be feeding hundreds of cats. Contact your local animal control. Some have spay/neuter feral cat programs where they'll come and trap the cats, spay/neuter, and give them rabies and other vaccinations. Then they put them back out on the street. At least they can't reproduce anymore.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Don't take any chances. Shoot it.

• 6 months ago

it is a warning message to you to stay away, it may try to attack you if you go near it bite you , swipe at you etc....they see you a threat

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Sounds more like a mama cat watching out for her kits.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Its not a sign of rabies. The mother cat is just protecting her kittens. Try to catch the mother (in a trap) and take her and the kittens to a shelter.

• 6 months ago

No. It means it is scared and will defend itself.

• Sharon
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

not rabies, she's just warning you not to harm her kittens

• Joe
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

It means he likes you. Go and pet him !

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

nope. ......................................

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.