Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 6 months ago

does anyone have any good news about climate change? there must be things we're doing to help reverse it, right?

also, about how long until climate change renders earth uninhabitable/makes us go extinct? hundreds of years, right?

• YKhan
    Favorite Answer

The Earth won't become uninhabitable, that's just the media's oversimplified headline news style take on it. Earth's temperature rise will mean certain habitats will change irreversibly. Such as some grasslands might become deserts, but equally likely some deserts may become swamps. This is not uninhabitable, but just change in habitats. A change in habitats may result in a number of species going extinct if they can't adjust. An example of such a species are the polar bears. It's really a change from one environment to another.

• Amy

Sure, we'll only lose species such as corn, rice, wheat, beans, coffee, fish... That won't hurt humans at all.

• Tom

Its Fake----The original theory forgot to factor in the apparent increase in local temperature, over time, from the paving over the streets of the cities where the measurements were taken.---But not before Politicians and Socialists were able to gain Votes and Power from scaring the citizens into pushing their agendas. Also Many Scientists were getting GRANTS to study it. Neither the Pols or, Socialists want to Lose the leg up it gives them nor do the Scientists who are getting grants want to lose their grant money---So the fraud goes on---even if they have to "Cheat" the data from time to time. I AM a working Environmental Scientist and Geologist ----This is the first thing I learned on the job. REAL Scientists do not take Climate Change/GW seriously------Today it is used to manipulate people and secure grants. We are closer to an ICE age than a warming spell.

The good news is that more and more people are seeing "Climate Change, Global Warming" as the hoax that it is. That is not an excuse for polluting our planet, or wasting resources, or misusing the planets' resources. The CLIMATE has been slowly warming since the end of the last ice age 20,000 years ago. Since the present warming period began, 20,000 years ago, the oceans have risen more than 300 feet. All that water was trapped in the polar ice caps which continue to melt. But change in sea level is almost immeasurable for a short lifetime and in my opinion a warmer earth will be more habitable than the present warming climate. Check with me in the year 3028 and let's see how right I am.

Earth is warming because we are coming out of an ice age. This is a normal cycle that has happened hundreds of times before. It is not going to end life on earth or flood the planet. Those ideas are from computer models, which have been shown to be very wrong.

It is not due to human activity. The amount of carbon dioxide that one volcano put in the air is a thousand times what all of human activity in the last century put in the air.

• Amy

In other words, the amount of CO2 that dozens of volcanic eruptions put into the air is one tenth of what all of human activity in the last YEAR put in the air.

the earth isn't going to go extinct! Billions of humans might die off, but the earth will do just fine without us IF we all die, which isn't likely. Life will just get harder for the lucky ones.

Many of us are doing the best we can

I for one have always been interested in recycling for instance

And reused when I could

As an Engineer, there is no such thing as useless Metal, be it Iron, Aluminium, Brass, Copper, Tin or Alloy

They can all be melted down and reused

Today's empty Coke tin is Tomorrows Electric Car

I am the proud owner of a Solar panel and a Wind Turbine

I am also working on a home made Generator, powered by magnets

If it works I can patent it and the greedy power companies will go bust

They just don't like alternative energy because there is more money in fossil fuels !!

If we put our heads together we could make our own Electricity and stuff the Electric Companies

I live beside a beach and once a week schoolkids go down to clear rubbish

The beach is Blue Flag now

It is true that we have come through Climate Change before by just adapting

• I don't know about that Ronnie, alternative energy schemes are becoming a real money spinner, competing with the embattled fossil fuel industry. Just check out all the marketing for solar panels. I smell scam loud and clear.

Climate change has not rendered earth uninhabitable in 400 million years, the good news it will never change, it will be here until the sun goes red giant and consumes the atmosphere.

Man will bring about his own extinction, just in thinking they can change nature to suit themselves by poisoning and polluting our environment, turning our rain forest and natural air scrubbers to concrete jungles.

All the talk of green house gasses, well, that is what vegetation takes in and gives us a breathable atmosphere.

Al Gore made millions selling 'global warming' to politicians and he is not even a scientist much less climatologist.

The sun cycle is in a waning phase, already having a cooling effect. More polar ice today than a decade ago, I ave to wonder what they will blame global cooling on, Not that it helps at all, more humidity in the atmosphere equates to more vegetation.rather useless as frozen ice at the poles.

Man has brought all this on himself, only 1/3 of our rain forest left. 7billion plus people and 8 billion in 20 years, something will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Source(s): NOAA,NASA, Too many scientific journals.
    • daniel g

@ Robin W,,If you can prove that with credible references, I am open for discussion.
      Not me your argument is with, but al of NOAA, NASA, and climatologist woth PHd's.

humans are minuscule and helpless against the forces of nature. mankind can no more stop climate change than cause it. all humans can do is accept whatever hand nature has dealt them and adapt.

• daniel g

I believe that is what I said, Nature sure didn't self destruct rain forest or create concrete jungles.

Some of the gurus predict by 2050 much of the sea coasts around the world will be under water. That includes places like Miami FL and NYC. There is an island nation in the Pacific that has to evacuate because the ocean level has risen to a point where the land is almost gone. [See source.]

Already here in San Francisco coastal areas that were once used as parking lots are now under water during so-called King Tides, the highest tide levels. And this has happened in my life-time because when I first moved here forty years ago that was not happening.

My point...I doubt that the adverse effects will take one hundred years let alone "hundreds of years" to affect us. They have already begun.

And the really negative effects from the warming of the planet have yet to begin. They are positive feedback effects where a bit of climate imbalance at first causes larger major climate imbalances later on.

One such effect is the release of methane gas from the permafrost where it's been trapped for eons. Methane is an even worse greenhouse gas than CO2. So a bit of methane is released into the atm; that in turn warms the air a bit more. And that releases more methane warming even more...and so on.

You asked if there are any good things to report. There are some, but they are puny versus what we really need to save the planet.

And to a point some nations have backed off from the Paris Agreement and downgraded their environmental protection programs. And instead those nations have augmented and encouraged the continuing mining and extraction of fossil fuels that pour CO2 into our air...making climate change even more intense.

• oldprof

"There ... is enough coal to last us around 150 years at current rates of production. In contrast, proven oil and gas reserves are equivalent to around 50 and 52 years at current production levels." [https://www.worldcoal.org/coal/where-coal-found]

• Acetek

do these three things Use if uop... Wear it out... Recycle....

I do all of these things it is up to the world governments to take more action

• And since governments operate to swindle the masses while accruing as much wealth as possible to the kleptocracy itself, they aren't going to do anything.