Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsRunning · 6 months ago

Marathon cheaters! I heard of a woman who competed in a marathon but who took the bus most of the way to the finish.?

It seems a bit silly but what's the harm in it?

lots of people avoid the pain of the long distance, by just pacing oneself to a consistent speed the entire race; not by using a bus.

Yup, there are cheaters out there. In one local race near the city I live in a women was signed up to do a full marathon. Instead during the race she got tired and decided she would do the half instead. She too the half marathon loop and obviously did some short cuts. The race organization found out. They disqualified her. Another incident I heard about was a famous model person was signed up to do a half marathon. Some of her information (splits) on the course were not recorded properly. She was all on social media saying she was so proud to do this race and was gloating. The organization claims she cheated. Yup, go look up Breana Tiesi half marathon or Breana Tiesi marathon. You will read about it. When you asked what is the harm in it? There is lots of harm. First off, serious people train hard for these kind of events. They train months and months! I am not talking one month.....try 6 months or more of training. For a person to cheat, they are taking away what could be your first place or 2nd place. People aim to try to place in these events or even qualify for Boston. It is a big deal. If you are thinking of cheating, don't do it. You'll just be a loser in the long run. You'll screw and hurt people over that have trained properly.

• Lôn

Nothing..if she doesn't get a prize as she might prevent someone who actually completed the course from getting one.

• Lôn

David B wrote the same reply as me(near enough) yet you didn't insult him...I wonder why.

• Cogito

Well, the fact is that she did NOT actually compete in a marathon. She just pretended to.

If there was a prize of any sort, or she had sponsors, she cheated; she was dishonest.

But otherwise, all she really did was cheat herself - lie to herself. It was totally pointless. She will always know that she did not run a marathon at all.

As most people who compete in marathons do so for the sense of achievement, her cheating would mean that there was no realistic sense of achievement.

Seriously? If you ran 26.2 miles and someone beat you to the finish line because they took the bus, I think you would have a problem with it too.

Well if people were sponsoring her to do the marathon,then she's cheated them,but you've got to give her credit for using her initiative.