promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why is knife crime or violence very high in London?

London (UK) has the highest homicide rate in the country. In 2018 they had one of the highest rates of stabbings/ homicides, during, the last decade. Back in 2014 (which was just a few years ago) they had a lowest homicide rate.

Personally, growing up in London, I came across a man who was stabbed (just a few months ago), I met someone in hospital (in the children’s ward) who was admitted for stab wounds. He was a child!!! And someone who was around 15/16 did this.

Update:

And also why do youths/ young people want to ruin their careers and spend years behind bars? For what?

Update 2:

Most people ain’t aware about this, it could be just as bad in any large city then if you’re from London like me, then you always hear about the “Knife Crime Epidemic”.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

There is one single cause - austerity.

There is no money for mental health programs, youth programs, probation, community support, prisons, social work, care, education, after school clubs, the police and on and on. All of these affect crime. There is no money to progress, there's only money to just about barely stay afloat, although even that is looking sketchy now. But then why bother spending money on it - it doesn't affect billionaires or people in the shires and they're the only ones the tories care about. The misery and deaths of thousands of others are completely irrelevant - cutting taxes for the rich and cutting the state further is what matters.

As for why teens do it, they often have no choice. Gangs are so good at manipulating people - especially teens, who are easy to manipulate anyway - that ISIS and other terrorist groups copied them

• Clive
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

So you're saying the crime rate was astronomical when none of those things existed?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

One of the highest rates compared with where?

The fact is that it is not "very high", it just looks like that in the press, and it is almost entirely down to gangs and fights over drugs. Lax parenting (as most of it is teenagers) has a contribution to make, but as you yourself know, not even strict parenting can prevent everything.

• Zhin
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

I don't know that

• 10 months ago

In London , there is no hiding the fact that it is largely down to black gang turf wars.

• Politically Correct
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

With the gangs competing for territory to control the drug trade. So the customers are at fault too.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Gangs, postcode wars, unemployment and the stopping of Stop and Search.

Too many teens with nothing to do all day.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.