Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 6 months ago

If i quit my job do i lose my health insurance right away?

Im wondering how that works because i really want to quit my job for many reasons. Im being told by my parents advice that it is best to stay because i need my health insurance until october when i will be getting married. I can go on my fiancés insurance then since he will be my husband.

But if I quit do i lose my insurance right away or do i get to keep it for a while? I live in NYC if that helps

LISTEN to your parents. If you quit now...........you will have NO health insurance at all.

• GEEGEE

Where I work you have coverage through the current month, since premiums are paid monthly. Cobra is an option for a person to stay on the company plan but it's quite expensive generally. Might be worth it for you since you have a relatively short, specific time frame.

• zipper

In most cases yes! you apply for CORBA coverage.

Immediately, but you can elect COBRA.

Most employer paid benefits end on your last day of employment. There are very few companies that would extend any benefits past the last day of employment. I really don't understand why there are so many "thumbs down" responses to answer that are telling you it does end - BECAUSE IT DOES END.

NOW - you MIGHT have options to continue your insurance coverage under COBRA rules. COBRA insurance is just YOUR current employer provided policy that is EXTENDED past your last day of employment because YOU have made the choice to PAY for the premiums with YOUR MONEY.

https://www.dfs.ny.gov/consumers/health_insurance/...

Thumbs-down because MOST end at end of that month. SOME end on the date of termination.

• Eva

You lose it right away unless you qualify for COBRA. If you qualify for COBRA you can keep your insurance for up to 18 months, but you have to pay the full cost of it.

As soon as you walk out the door

You might. But you usually have the option to pay money to keep it for up to 18 months (36 if the job is in California or the Social Security Administration decides you are disabled) or until you become eligible for insurance elsewhere. It's often very expensive ($400 or more a month), but it's an option to consider. Research "COBRA".

COBRA is never expensive. The insurance is exactly the same at exactly the same cost. What changes is that the employer no longer contributes. But, if the employer didn't contribute in the first place, then it's the same.

This is one of the many reasons health insurance shouldn't be provided by employers. No one should have to stay at a job just to get health insurance.

You've never had to. You've always had the ability to buy it on your own. Unfortunately the number of options we used to have outside an employer has fallen.

Some will last for up to 30 days, some if you go ahead and pay for it you keep the insurance, some may even stop immediately. Depends on the company and insurance company.