Check engine light on 2010 toyota prius with 189k miles. What could it be?

I'll explain this from the beginning how this started so maybe someone could pinpoint what this could be. My check engine light came on about a month ago. I found out that it was my air filter box hose was loose. Which i guess i loosened it on accident when i was changing my air filter. So tightened all that up. Check engine light goes off the next day. Ok about a month or so later. Check engine comes back on. About 20 something different codes show up all leading to either o2 sensor or maf sensor. Well the maf sensor was cleaned with maf sensor cleaner to try that for a few days to see if it would clear, that didnt work. So then i replaced the downstream o2 sensor, didnt work either. So now im either thinking it could be the upstream sensor or maybe the maf sensor has to be replaced. Idk what to do. I got limited funds

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Best Answer

Get it to a mechanic with a real code reader. You need to know exactly what is wrong and not speculate.

• 5 months ago

What could it be?

There are THOUSANDS of correct answers.

Reading the code that set the light is STEP ONE in narrowing the list.

Actually, there is ONE 'part' we know needs replaced. The 'mechanic' that just confessed to being CLUELESS.

• 5 months ago

Tell us the codes so we can decide.

• don r
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Tell us the codes so we can decide.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Then quit trying to play mechanic since you don't have a clue and go find a real mechanic to repair your vehicle before you run out of money guessing and throwing parts at the damn thing.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Erik
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Buy all the parts you might need all at once from the auto parts store, replace them one at a time, then return them all and buy the part you need on ebay once you figure out what the problem is.

• Erik
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

You can return sensors, as long as they're still in new condition. They have people returning stuff all day long.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

If you have limited funds, then randomly replacing expensive parts of your car and hoping for a solution is kind of a dumb way to go about it. Maybe you should take your car to a REAL mechanic who can troubleshoot the problem, find the REAL cause and fix it right the first time.

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Even with unlimited funds, that approach is stupid.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.