Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 5 months ago

Is GPU undervolting & underclocking harmful?

I currently have an i7 3770 (77W) paired with 1TB HDD + 120GB SSD, an optical drive (Which I never use), 2 x 4GB DDR3 RAM (1333Mhz, I think) and I ll be adding two additional RAM sticks in future which will bring the total memory to 16GB.

My PSU is rated at 12V 450W whereas AMD recommends at least a 500W PSU to run the RX580.

I don't have the money to afford both the GPU and the PSU for the time being and since the GPU is on sale right now (Gigabyte RX580 8GB @ $200); I don t want to pass this opportunity either.

I asked the shopkeeper about this and he said that this GPU will run fine if I undervolt and underclock it and bring it down to RX570 level as both these GPUs have the same chip and processor.

Although I suspect he s just saying it just to unload the GPU on me!

So what do you think? Is undervolting safe? Will it void my warranty? I m sorry if I sound paranoid but I don t want to burn my brand-new GPU!

Thanks!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • A.J.
    Lv 7
    5 months ago
    Best Answer

To provide a proper answer I need your country and the brand and model number of your power supply.

gpu underclocking will reduce its power draw and performance and doesn't harm anything.

The stated wattage doesn't mean very much. 12V amps and the PCIe 6 and 8 pin cables coming from it, and the efficiency rating all mean more than total watts. Also, is that peak watts or continuous watts? And at what rated temperature? And, how old? and more.

1) RX 580 8GB is under $200 in the USA, especially after rebate

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort...

2) Gigabyte GV-RX580GAMING-8GD requires 1x8 pin PCIe power or 2x6pin and adapter

3) 185W thermal design RX 580, 77W thermal design i7-3770, 30W fans and motors at 12V

12V load max 292W 24.33A and design PSU and should be 365W at 12V or higher watts (30.5A)

With 3.3 and 5V your load could go to about 370W maximum peak and typically, a good 460W is about minimum.

4) Best value today in the USA is $60 plus $5 shipping and $20 rebate card in a power supply for a Seasonic 620W M12II

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-m12ii-620-bronze-6...

$48 and $15 rebate for a new Thermaltake Smart 600 is lower efficiency, not modular, looks passable even with the low 12V allowance for a 600W supply

https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-smart-series-ps...

• 5 months ago

It will slowly, harm the CPU and/or GPU.

• David
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Underclocking and undervolting won’t do any harm and won’t void your warranty. If the PSU is a reasonable brand you will probably be ok using 450W even without undervolting and underclocking, I would try it and see. The power recommendations tend to err on the side of caution. If needed you could disconnect the CD-ROM and delay adding the extra memory until you can afford to upgrade.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.