Is GPU undervolting & underclocking harmful?

I currently have an i7 3770 (77W) paired with 1TB HDD + 120GB SSD, an optical drive (Which I never use), 2 x 4GB DDR3 RAM (1333Mhz, I think) and I ll be adding two additional RAM sticks in future which will bring the total memory to 16GB. My PSU is rated at 12V 450W whereas AMD recommends at least a 500W PSU to... show more I currently have an i7 3770 (77W) paired with 1TB HDD + 120GB SSD, an optical drive (Which I never use), 2 x 4GB DDR3 RAM (1333Mhz, I think) and I ll be adding two additional RAM sticks in future which will bring the total memory to 16GB.

My PSU is rated at 12V 450W whereas AMD recommends at least a 500W PSU to run the RX580.

I don't have the money to afford both the GPU and the PSU for the time being and since the GPU is on sale right now (Gigabyte RX580 8GB @ $200); I don t want to pass this opportunity either.

I asked the shopkeeper about this and he said that this GPU will run fine if I undervolt and underclock it and bring it down to RX570 level as both these GPUs have the same chip and processor.

Although I suspect he s just saying it just to unload the GPU on me!

So what do you think? Is undervolting safe? Will it void my warranty? I m sorry if I sound paranoid but I don t want to burn my brand-new GPU!

Thanks!