Salma asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

Mother cat keeps attacking the father cat?

My cats were always very loving and playful, they groomed each other all the time and when they grew up they mated, recently my cat gave birth and ever since then she has been attacking the male cat, he didn t harm the kittens or show any kind of threats, but she literally doesn t want him in site

She has never been this violent and it s getting more serious, she chased him until he fell from the window which was EXTREMELY dangerous, i m keeping her and the kittens in my room so she doesn t see him or attack him, how do i stop this?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

thats because male cats often kill the litter so the mother will go into heat again and he can breed her again.

not unusual at all. those cute facebook photos of the mom and dad cat taking care of the kittens is unusual, and not normal behavior.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

How do I stop this? Call your vet and have him neutered NOW. When kittens are 8 weeks old, spay mom cat and then rehome kittens no sooner then 10-12 weeks old.

Many females will become aggressive to other cats when they have babies. Your cats should have been spayed/neutered as 4 month kittens and then they would still be loving with each other. DON'T let them breed anymore and keep them separated till they are spayed/neutered.

• 6 months ago

Keep the kittens away from the male. Momcat is just protecting the babies. Male cats are known to kill kittens. When the babies are older you can introduce dad.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Cats are, unless breeding, solitary creatures.

Male cats (house cats, lions, makes no difference) will kill babies that aren't theirs, so mother's instincts are spot on.

By the way, by allowing her to go into heat you've increased her chances of mammary cancer exponentially. Congrats.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

You stop it by getting them both desexed.

A female cat sees any adult male cat as a threat to kittens.

The world does not need more kittens.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You can't, you have a mother cat who is protecting her young, sometimes male cats attack and kill kittens, especially if the male is the father of the kittens, have them both neutered.

• 6 months ago

By SEPARATING THEM, obviously!!! She feels threatened.

Why the Hell did you selfishly breed your no breed cats??? Do at least have the decency to spay/neuter the kittens before you sell them.

• Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Mating is pleasurable for humans. You're anthropomorphizing to assume animals do so out of anything but instinct.

• 6 months ago

It's the mother instinct in her acting up and male cats have been known to kill and eat kittens. Keeping her and the kittens in one room and away from the other cat is probably all you can do until the kittens have grown.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.