do you have to learn cords when playing guitar. I just want to learn to play the notes?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

You don’t HAVE to learn chords, but most people do.

• James
    Lv 4
    5 months ago

No, you need to learn chords.

• 6 months ago

Don't take this offensively. I am guessing you are a beginner. And every beginner I have ever met including myself (a few years ago) is stubborn. They will say things like " I dont play like that" or " but I dont care about this part". Yes you need to learn chords to be a good guitarist. All a chord Is is 3 notes together. If you want to be a good guitarist you need to become obsessed with it. Nobody starts off better than anybody else. It's the ones who work hard that really shine.

• firo6 months agoReport

This is an encouraging post. We all start out as beginners

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Chords, not cords. Your best bet is to get a professional guitar teacher and explain what it is you're interested in learning.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jake
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

yeah it would make sense

• Ludwig
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

If you learn to play classical Spanish guitar you will start with the notes.

• gerald
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I don't play music but I would love to but I also like art and decided to learn and am self taught there are techniques like chords to enhance the performance and it takes a long time to grasp them yourself you get there in the end but a school or tutor would save a lot amount of disappointment and time .so a tip is get some lessons just a few you may be a natural and fly through you will not regret it ,

• Tony B
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I think you mean “chords” - three or more notes played together.

No you don't “have to” learn anything if you don't want to. If you can't do something as basic as playing chords though you certainly can't claim to be able to play the guitar.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

If you want to be any good then yes, you need to learn CHORDS [correct spelling]. If all you want to do is play individual notes, take up the penny whistle instead.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

i would learn how to spell chords first sweetie

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.