Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 6 months ago

Would you consider me as slow?

I got my Bachelor's degree at age 24. I also got my first job at age 24. Also, my current job isn't a job that I would consider as a career.

• Foofa

Unless your BA was in a STEM major that sounds about typical.

No. I'm 30 and never made it past the 1st year of community college and settled for being a welfare mom

Not based on what you've told us. I mean, you may BE slow, but graduating and starting work at 24 is no proof of anything at all except that you graduated and got a job.

Many people take jobs that they don't 'consider a career' when they're not certain what they actually want to do. I did the same, but my first job helped me to see what I really wanted - and what I DIDN'T want, equally important.

As long as you're earning your keep and can save a little, don't worry too much at the moment.

Everybody takes different paths in life. Relax

• martin

There is too much emphasis on careers in American culture. There are more important things, although at a young age it would seem very important to have a career to brag about. More important is that you would respect yourself for whatever you are doing and accomplishing now. Usually, the way to a better job is by taking some more classes in whatever might lead to a new career.

• A.J.

Although the typical high school graduate enters college at 18 and graduate at 22 to 23, 24 is not slow. It is also not rare to have people in school not working, even in a summer job. The issue is probably your choice of major in college to not have a career type job, where you were too short term in outlook.

You should assess your future and whether you need additional training or education to improve your long term earnings.

• Kyle

would your job hopefully lead to a career? not everyone gets a job in their field or a career, but it's a starting point to help move towards a career.

to answer your question though, no i wouldn't.

without saying what you studied, and assuming that's what you want your career in, it's hard to say or help guide you.