hundreds and thousands and years into the future, will life on earth play out like most sci- fi depictions?

contact with aliens, galactic wars, far evolved humans possibly new races or different species of people....it certainly wont look like it does now...

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I doubt it very much. The universe is BIG BIG BIG and most sci-fi depends heavily on the existence of hyperspace, so that there can be travel across vast distances. Nice invention to make the stories work, but unless Einstein was totally wrong, there can be no such thing. There may be all kinds of aliens out there but the likelihood is that the distances are just far too huge for us to ever meet any if the speed of light really is the cosmic speed limit.

How we might evolve has far more mileage in it. It hasn't been that long on a cosmic scale since humanity was no more than intelligent apes. But will it be free to go further? Another big asteroid impact could do for us like it did for the dinosaurs. There has only been what we call "civilisation" for about 5,000 years - almost nothing compared with a solar system over 4 billion years old. Or a universe over 3 times older than that.

Have you ever heard of Olaf Stapledon? If you haven't, which is highly likely, I thoroughly recommend "Last and First Men". Beg, borrow or buy a copy... if you're serious about "far evolved humans possibly new races or different species of people", it's the only sci-fi book I know that really imagines this.

It was published in 1930 so 90 years later, the bits about the immediate future may be rather frustrating as he got that totally wrong, so you might like to follow Gregory Benford's suggestion in his preface to my copy and start with Chapter V, "The Fall of the First Men". Stapledon also wrote in a rather old fashioned style that might not appeal to you - it feels like reading a Victorian novel - but stick with it. The ideas are mind-blowing.

If that makes you want some more Stapledon, read "Star Maker".

Edit - all of you who gave thumbs down, explain why.

• 6 months ago

Since sci-fi depictions of the future of Earth vary greatly with little or no consistence, there is no way to answer.

• 6 months ago

No.

Hundreds or thousands of years is too short for significant evolution to occur.

• 6 months ago

Quite possibily.. or even more

Fact can actually turnout to be stranger than fiction

Earth might not be our only home by then

Attachment image
    Source(s): To boldly go
    • She looks like she is about to treat him to a left hook. Likely followed by a full Nelson as Spocky gets a well deserved knee to the groin.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Man will have brought about his own extinction by then, I don't see it.

• 6 months ago

Yes it will play out rather like the sci-fi film Soylent Green, then resulting in scenes reminiscent of the Flintsones

So yes, it certainly won't look like it does now.

• 6 months ago

Life will be nothing like anything anyone imagines today.

Could anybody a few hundred years ago have predicted cars or planes or space travel or TV or radio or computers or electric lights?

• paul
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

yup we are not alone

• 6 months ago

Can you remember the names of the books you get all this from?

• 6 months ago

I don't know if we will ever have to deal with aliens, either helping us or exploiting us like slaves or killing us and taking our planet. (They wouldn't want it after we were through with it anyway).

Life on earth itself is growing a little tenuous. We are destroying our home through non-sustainable practices, and as time goes by and new extractive and polluting technologies are developed, and our population grows without limit, and people want more luxuries and comforts, the earth is a little less livable every year. We can see a time when it won't be possible even to live here. Yeah, it won't be in 10 or 20 years but it might be by the end of this century. If we're going to occupy earth for more than another 3 or 4 generations, we'e gong to need some serious recalibration of our lifestyle, and of capitalism (not capitalism itself but the way we do it).

When you look at the enormous progress we've made since the 'invention' of science, just 300 years now, it makes me really curious (and hopeful) about the next 300 years, or the next 1000 years. But we won't see that if the human race can't survive, or if our population dwindles to a few hundred thousand people living underground.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.