Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 6 months ago

How scared of withdrawal should I be? I am detoxing from alcohol? I am worried it’ll be worse since I anticipate it?

I am a 105 lb female. Two years ago I drank 1-2 bottles of vodka per day. Over the past year I brought it down to alternating days of a half bottle of vodka/a bottle of wine or a little more. I skip some days drinking but drink heavier the next day. I need to go cold turkey next week for a new job where I live on site, no alcohol permitted. I am cutting it down to two drinks per day for this past week to help prepare me for this.

I’ve had almost 4 months to prepare for my new job. I thought I would have cut back a lot more by now. After a day and a half to two days of no alcohol I get headaches. I am pissed and want to cry if I don’t have a drink in my hand.

How bad will going cold turkey be next week? How much of this is in my head? How can I minimize the amount I make it worse by overthinking

You're a serious alcoholic. You may have real problems going cold turkey.

• Janet

It is best to go through withdrawal in a detox center.

Check in with a doctor to help you through. Back in my consulting days, I spent the better part of a week at Hazelden treatment center in Minneapolis, defining and studying their protocols. Like you, I assumed that detoxification was the worst part of recovery. It's not. According to the staff, detox can be helped along with a mild anti-anxiety agent, and is generally over and done with in two, or occasionally three days.

The real hard part is staying sober. Again, according to staff, you need to find a new group of sober friends and probably join a support group. Your working and living situation will be perfect for your new life. Check out a local AA chapter so you will have someone to call before you develop resources in your new environment. And, best of luck!

why did you start you deserve it

• Larry K.

Brilliant! I bet you even think of yourself as a Christian. It must be very difficult for you to cope with the rest of us imperfect souls who, unlike you, are full of flaws and who often need to be forgiven. You probably get a headache from your halo.

Kinda scared. I mean for my dad it was bad because he went into a depression a d everything. So. Yee