My neighbor had blasting loud music on in his apartment at night. He woke up a tenant upstairs. The tenant was terrified. Is this a crime?


Tenants of the apartment building are saying that this neighbor terrorized the tenant upstairs with blasting loud music. I think they are overreacting. How can you terrorize someone with loud music? I understand that the blasting loud music woke up someone who was trying to sleep but being terrified seems like an over reaction.

6 Answers

  • Anonymous
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    If someone persists after being told it is disturbing a tenant, it can legally be harassment. It isn't usually charged as police have better things to do. If police are repeatedly called to a noise disturbance they might run a disorderly persons charge. A tenant can file a complaint with both the management and the police.

    Playing loud music should be dealt with by the landlord in a strict matter. Nobody needs to listen to loud music, they can wear headphones or shut it off. A notice to cure or quit should be issued, followed by filing for eviction if the tenant persists.

  • 6 months ago

    No, just a noise violation.

  • Judith
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    The tenant needs to make a formal complaint with the LL. If that doesn't work, he might try calling the police. Where I live there is a local law that noise cannot be heard up to a certain # of feet (I think it's 50 but am not sure). They would get a ticket if in a car. Don't know if that applies to noise within an apartment building - but I doubt it.

    Where I live a person is given two warnings;after a 3rd complaint they are given an eviction notice.

  • Judy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

    no, not a crime. he can call the police though

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

    It's a criming shame. Report it to the landlord.

  • 6 months ago

    disturbing the peace (which might not be legally a 'crime' it seems my state just calls them something else...but not a crime.., but being terrified is an over reaction

    • Lv 5
      6 months agoReport

      It isn't up to the state. It is up to the local police what if anything they will do about it. A tenant can file a harassment charge against another tenant who persistently blares loud music after being requested not to. The police may even arrest them on a disorderly persons charge.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.