My neighbor had blasting loud music on in his apartment at night. He woke up a tenant upstairs. The tenant was terrified. Is this a crime?

Tenants of the apartment building are saying that this neighbor terrorized the tenant upstairs with blasting loud music. I think they are overreacting. How can you terrorize someone with loud music? I understand that the blasting loud music woke up someone who was trying to sleep but being terrified seems like an over reaction.

Favorite Answer

If someone persists after being told it is disturbing a tenant, it can legally be harassment. It isn't usually charged as police have better things to do. If police are repeatedly called to a noise disturbance they might run a disorderly persons charge. A tenant can file a complaint with both the management and the police.

Playing loud music should be dealt with by the landlord in a strict matter. Nobody needs to listen to loud music, they can wear headphones or shut it off. A notice to cure or quit should be issued, followed by filing for eviction if the tenant persists.

No, just a noise violation.

• Judith

The tenant needs to make a formal complaint with the LL. If that doesn't work, he might try calling the police. Where I live there is a local law that noise cannot be heard up to a certain # of feet (I think it's 50 but am not sure). They would get a ticket if in a car. Don't know if that applies to noise within an apartment building - but I doubt it.

Where I live a person is given two warnings;after a 3rd complaint they are given an eviction notice.

• Judy

no, not a crime. he can call the police though

It's a criming shame. Report it to the landlord.

disturbing the peace (which might not be legally a 'crime' it seems my state just calls them something else...but not a crime.., but being terrified is an over reaction

• Lv 5

It isn't up to the state. It is up to the local police what if anything they will do about it. A tenant can file a harassment charge against another tenant who persistently blares loud music after being requested not to. The police may even arrest them on a disorderly persons charge.