How much would it take to install a water pump and head gasket to your car?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

My car? The water pump was $26, the gasket set $36. Labor, free, DIY.

On your specific M./M/Y and your skills, I cant hazard to guess.

Water pump on a Model "A" is simple; Hard on an '04 Pacifica.

Head gaskets Easy on a 45" Harley model "W"; Hard on any Vee type cage like a V-10 Cummins.

Just "new head gasket" might Also require check for wharpage of head, pressure test; maybe valve job, maybe shaving. If a vee type needs it, it's shaving for two heads plus intake manifold. $$. I find better and cheaper to get exchange head(s) if any doubt. Very easy to put more machine work into old head(s) than worth--heliarcing, shaving, knurling, etc.

I will stick my neck out and say $1500 for a shop, not dealer.

• 6 months ago

Always llist car the year and model, engine size and mileage. Is it a FOUR, SIX OR OTHER TYPE. many water pumps are driven by timing belt. Need more info. WHAT HAPPENED.?? HEAD GASKET REQUIRES NRE HEAD BOLTS TOO. Best guess without knowing more is $1000 to ,$2000.

• Lv 5
      6 months agoReport

No. Many do not require new bolts. Maybe some brand new ones that probably don't require a new H/G as yet. My Toyota, Chevy V6, the Pontiac 4; No. Nor my Harley nor Honda.

• M.
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It's a very unspecific answer, because it depends on what happened and which vehicle and engine you have.

Usually, a leaking cylinder head gasket involves a warped aluminum cylinder head. Repairing or replacing the cylinder head is usually expensive.

-Engine overhaul mechanic and general automotive mechanic since 1972

• Dan
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

About $2500. for my car.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

A Million Bucks. If you're capable you wouldn't ask.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

How much what? For a four cylinder engine is is a fair doityourself project if you are careful, use a torque wrench, and have the head machined even if it is not out of spec. . It makes a good job.

• Snezzy
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

For me "your car" means one of my pickup trucks, YOUR car is not my car, not at all.

Next we arrive at further questions: What's the problem you are trying to solve? Do you care if the head gasket goes bad again? How soon do you need it repaired. Have you ALREADY ASKED three separate quotes on the job?

I know, I know, you just want an answer. Okay, "Between 30 bucks and several thousand."

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

800$ for pump and gasket anywhere from 1k 4k

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

i would call a rnechanic and ask hirn this question

• Lv 5
      6 months agoReport

Depends; Japanese character. Model "A" and Harley model "W" very easy. Typical modern FWD V6 can be Very hard.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

That, my fair young idiot, very much depends on the make and model of car in question.

FAIL

• Lv 5
      6 months agoReport

And; black..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.