Wouldn't being a starship bridge crewman be the most boring job ever, just staring at a starfield for hours, day after day, for years?

I'm beginning to think Star Trek might have been unrealistic in that regard. At least Sulu did frequently check his instruments for anomalies that rarely showed up on the main viewer.

• D g
    Favorite Answer

they would obviously have people doing other jobs also to keep their minds occupied and keep them alert

You also get to repeat what the computer says.

Not really. I am sure they would become highly proficient in Pacman, Jungler and other such games they could play on the ship's computer to relieve the boredom.

I don't think that is all an astronaut does. And that is not what a navy ship crewman does while sailing the ocean.

• Bob

That's why they invented Dejarik, remember to let the wookie win.

Sure it's a boring job--at least, until you spot some Klingons around Uranus. Then things get hairy in a hurry.

.

.

Source(s): This is my only Uranus joke ever, I promise.

no. there's always some huge conflict springing up with the klingons, romulans, andorians or other aliens.