Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentOther - Environment · 6 months ago

Surviving nuclear winter?

What kinds of tips can you offer? Any useful answers would be appreciated.

It seems like the risk of a nuclear exchange is going up, not down. I live in an area where there are no likely civilian or military targets, so the risk to me from a nuclear blast or from resulting fallout is very low. The risk would be from a possible nuclear winter, assuming a large enough exchange. Just looking for any tips, thanks

try going camping first and seeing how you do

• olivia

Nuclear winter is a theory that the impact of nuclear weapons would throw huge volumes of soot into the atmosphere. The extra particles would effectively blot out the sun and create catastrophic cooling all over the globe. Scientists have tried to model the effects of a nuclear winter by looking at modern wildfires and volcanic eruptions and then scaling them to various nuclear scenarios.

We’ve all seen those nuclear bunker apocalypse movies, but is it really possible to survive an all-out nuclear war? Scientists have been trying to answer that question for decades, and the topic gets a bit of renewed attention everytime global tensions rise. There are a number of competing theories about the effects of a nuclear winter, and depending on the specifics, it just might be possible to ride out a nuclear apocalypse with the right preparation.

Even as a child of the cold war, nuclear war never seemed that scary. The movies taught me that anyone could survive a direct hit in an underground bunker with 30 years worth of food. We lived in a rural area, far from potential targets and I obviously didn’t have a realistic vision of what the aftermath would entail. I assumed “nuclear winter” meant one year without a summer growing season, which seemed easy enough survive with a little planning. That special naivety of a child carried through for a long time, until a recent conversation with my father

I made some joke about surviving a nuclear apocalypse, and he looked at me dumbfounded and asked, “Why on earth would you want to survive that? If a nuke is coming, I want it to land square on top of me and end it.” I laughed, assuming I’d inherited my survival instinct from my mother, but then I started wondering if there might be more to it. What exactly would a nuclear aftermath look like? How long would a nuclear winter really last?

In reality, it’s hard to imagine and just as hard to model scientifically. Smithsonian Magazine summed it up pretty well, “Both nuclear winter and global climate change are fairly abstract phenomena that occur on a scale beyond our immediate sensory experience. We’re asking people to accept a result and imagine a change that is just beyond the realm of any of us, what we’ve experienced in our lives.”

• james

Have lots of firewood stashed. Frozen food will be found were you look for it. But heat will be a problem.

Will you?(politic one, don,t catch AIDS) Nuclear is wintery not in winter, Iran? is a usual fool friend.

Lots of warm clothes. Learn to live simply with only the basics. Start now so you will be mentally prepared.

Look at how people lived a century ago, and learn from them. No cars, no electricity, no gas, no phones. That will be our situation, the sooner one gets used to it the easier the transition to it will be. Keep a good stock of food, learn to be community minded so that you can help others and they can help you.

Learn to scrounge. During and after a massive depopulation there will be rich pickings amongst the ruins. Plenty of canned food to keep you going for a couple of years. Plenty of building materials and lots of useful implements and utensils. Maybe learn to be handy and how to make things with basic hand tools so you can make the most of your scrounged treasures.

Kill or be killed.

Buy a submarine.

• Kenny

Food will keep outside year around . Don't try to be a vegan .

Buy a parka from LL Bean.

• Tomalochk

That's okay , but you will need entertainment too .... make sure you have a monopoly game or at least a deck of cards .

just buy warn clothes to wear