Is a 300cc to small for a starter bike?

Deciding between a Honda cb300f, ninja 250, or an R3. Is a 300 to small?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Not at all. Smaller bikes accelerate the learning process because their weight, power, and lower cost do not intimidate new riders, who can more easily manuever them without dropping them and focus on riding instead of keeping a larger, heavier bike upright. Modern 300cc bikes have adequate power to maintain highway speeds. Maybe not enough for a passenger, but then, newbies should stick to riding solo at first.

• don r
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Only if you're a lardasss. Try riding it to see how you fit on it and how you adapt to its power. A Ninja 300 could be a barrel of fun as a first bike but the cafe posture is a pain in the neck. The Honda will be more forgiving. Just how big do you think is big enough? If you plan on packing Fat Mary on the freeway with you to Lake Shasta every weekend, you need something bigger- AFTER you learn how to ride.

• Scott
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

It is for me. I don't know what you might be able to ride safely.

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

All of those bikes mentioned are more than capable of reaching and sustaining highway speeds, yet are not too powerful as to easily overwhelm a novice rider.

The other nice thing about all of those bikes is that they're in constant demand by new riders. Buy a used one and assuming you don't drop it or trash it,, ride it for a year or two and you can easily sell it for close to what you paid for it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • fuzzy
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Not unless you weigh over 250 lb.

• Tim D
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No 300cc is not too small. Those bikes are beyond what most riders in Europe can start with. I started with a 50cc bike, then a series of 125s and 250s.

• 6 months agoReport

Good advice. That's why you're still alive.

• 6 months ago

It's OK, for off-road.

• arther
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

I gave the boys a 50cc bike to start out with. if you're an oldbloke just starting to ride its too late don't bother you will hurt yourself.

• arther
      Lv 4
      6 months agoReport

My friend started at 48 broke his collar bone then got back on and done his hip now at he don't climb no ladders he can hardly walk.

• 6 months ago

Started my 55+ yrs of riding/racing on a Honda Super 90. Learned to ride and still alive.

Decide for your self- most 300s can do higher than speed limits in the US.

• 6 months ago

not at all. It can still get up and go.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.