1997 mercury tracer thats where the cooling fan turn on then arrow goes to the middle and turns off?

picture bellow thats where the cooling fan turn on then arrow goes to the middle and that where it will turn off the fans is this normal for this type of car no check engines nothing,

Attachment image

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

If there is a radiator cap on the radiator take it off and then run the motor for 15 minutes. Watch for air bubbles coming out of the radiator neck. Top up the coolant if it's low. If the air bubbles never stop purging you likely have a head gasket starting to fail. A mechanic can do a chemical test to check for exhaust gases in the cooling system. It's called a "block test" and will verify if the head gasket is leaking.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • 6 months ago

The gauge is not a very accurate thermometer. But it does seem to be higher than you would expect. I suppose you just bought the car and do not know if it has always been this way. It does seem that the thermostat that turns on the fans is set high but I would expect that when you are moving down the highway, you should not need the fans at all.

• dennis6 months agoReport

yes i bought this car not too long ago when i'm cruising the arrow is in the middle like any car as soon as a stop it goes to the right and goes back as soon the fans kick on.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

It's a little on the high side. Do you have the correct range thermostat installed? Have you ever had the cooling system flushed or pressure tested? No? It's probably time.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.