Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyOther - Skin & Body · 6 months ago

Is it wrong that my partner is taking his 10 year daughter to a tattoo studio to get her ears pierced?

My partner’s 10 year old has asked to get her ears pierced, and both of her parents have agreed to let her get them pierced once she’s finished school for the summer. As it is his weekend when she finishes for the summer, he’s taking her to get them pierced. Her mum only agreed if their daughter was taken to a tattoo studio and pierced with needles rather than a piercing gun. She’s had the cartilage in one of her ears shattered from being pierced with a piercing gun when she was a teenager and doesn’t want that for her daughter.

I really don’t think it’s appropriate to take a 10 year old to a tattoo studio to get her ears pierced. Especially when she could come to my salon and get her ears pierced. I could do it myself for her. What happened to her mum was unfortunate but she shouldn’t have been getting her cartilage pierced with a piercing gun in the first place. She’s 10, she doesn’t need exposing to alternative looks and body modifications.

Should I talk to them about how inappropriate taking a 10 year old to a tattoo studio is?

I m not going to answer that but I had my ears .pierced as a child and no one was bothered .

• LM440

All tattoo studios are not the same. The shop I go to has a nice clean family environment. The piercer is a great guy and a true professional. I would not think twice about bringing a child there.

No professional reputable piercer would pierce with a gun. Sure, it might be scary, but ti's a good experience and they have loads of training, They have at least a year with a mentor, before even allowed to, plus take classes about what to avoid, etc. Make sure the studio is clean, and open new tools . All my piercers are very kind, and I'm a shy person. Claires or any piercing gun place doesn't train minus 30 minute video..and practice n paper ear. (they dont even have a license,..)

I wouldn't want my kid at a tattoo parlor getting her ears pierced with a needle, not necessarily because of the tattoo parlor but because that's going to hurt so much more! the piercing gun is quick. Although I will say that I had my second hole pierced with a piercing gun and they messed it up too, the alignment was way off and it was not symmetrical so maybe the parlor is best

I think 9 or 10 is actually a good age to get them pierced.

My sister and I got ours pierced when we were like 8 years old, so did a lot of people I know.

But us and many other young girls went to Piercing Pagoda (in the mall) to get them pierced.

You can also get them pierced at Claire’s or even the doctor’s office.

So a tattoo/piercing parlor isn’t really necessary.

What do you think is going to happen at a tattoo parlor? She's going to lose her virginity?

Offer to do it at your salon and then shut your pie-hole and mind your own business.

• Lil Smiley

Piercing guns are horrible, just google it, you'll find a bunch of reasons. (Lack of training, unsanitary, blunt trauma, and a few other things.

No. Tattoo parlors are much more sanitary than the little places at malls. Its fine.

The issue I see is that she might wear them at recess. She could easily snag one and injure her ear, and any random jerk could pull on one. I hope her parents will impress upon her that earrings are not appropriate for every occasion. As for the tattoo studio, I personally wouldn't go that route. I like your idea of taking her to your salon.

• Lil Smiley

thats up to hirn, not rnuch you can do about it

• C

No, it's not wrong. Tattoo studios aren't dens of iniquity and using needles rather than guns anywhere on the body is better practice. If you reflect on the situation I think you'll find that your objections are really more about your hurt feelings that you're not the one doing the piercing. Let this one go.