Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

Why are veterinarians so damn money hungry ?

I went to the vet ( it was an emergency one ) because all the other ones were closed and they tried to tell me I had to pay $600 just for damn worm treatment ( it was my friends cat she was at work so I took her ) while last time I went for worm treatment at another vet it was only $80 . Plus this workers were completely clueless and when I had questions they would dodge it and say “ let me ask the doctor “ ******* retards

I would say because they have to go to school for something like 8 years, which totals a lot of debt to take care of your fur babies, and usually people dont have pet insurance to cover those costs, which is why they seem so high. Medical cost for humans are even higher.

• Joe

Isn't everybody ? What do you do for a living, and how much schooling and studying did it take to achieve your position ?

They have to make a living too

Because 7-9 years of college is expensive.

I found this out too. Vets really are after your money. You would think it would attract nice people who want to help animals but many vets are almost as bad as dentists for wanting money.

• Anna

Anonymous, do you have bills, rent and food to pay for? Do you want to get paid for your work? Same for vets and dentists, they deserve to be paid and have bills just like you do. Wanting money doesn't make you a bad person, it means you need to pay to live.

Emergency, a vet has to drop everything to suit you. Worming is nothing emergency, so now you learned something.

Even $80 is rather steep for vets compared to our locals. You must live in a high price district.

Notwithstanding, rescuing an injured bat with a broken arm cost nearly $2000 before all was done.

Needed X-rays before the clinic closed and just that was not cheap. Treating for shock and pain, not cheap, setting and immobilizing, not cheap. Sort of a shock with an animal hardly bigger than your thumb.

• Anna E

No different than going to the ER. I will never again take my pet to an emergency vet. Had a cat get hit by a car, broke his leg, dislocated his hip. This was 20 years ago and all they did was an xray and put the hip in place. It cost me $800. Took him to his regular vet to have the leg splinted and they had to do surgery to put a pin in AND neutered him since he was under anesthesia for $100.

they have to have a way to get paid

• *****

Emergency veterinarians are expensive. You're paying for the fact that they're open on days and at times that people don't want to work, plus the fact that most emergency clinics have lots of expensive equipment for animals in critical condition that have just had major injuries or are so sick they are near death. Many of the vets employed in such a place also have advanced training in emergency veterinary medicine. Emergency clinics aren't appropriate for routine issues that aren't, well, emergencies. Any veterinary questions should be directed to the veterinarian, not assorted other employees not licensed to practice veterinary medicine. What you did would be the equivalent of you walking into a hospital emergency room with a sinus infection and getting mad because the hospital orderlies couldn't answer your medical questions. The only clueless person in this scenario is you.

Why would you go to an emergency clinic for worms? Emergency vet care costs at least triple what a regular office visit would be because no one wants to work those crazy hours and they don't have a regular group of clients so there may be long periods during the night where there is no income coming in.