Ball python acting really defensive?

I ve had my ball python almost a year, he was 8 months old when I got him. He s my first snake and he s been an absolute gem. He s great being handled, and has had no problems feeding or shedding. He s currently eating every 5 days. For the past two weeks, he has been extremely defensive in his tank, every time I... show more I ve had my ball python almost a year, he was 8 months old when I got him. He s my first snake and he s been an absolute gem. He s great being handled, and has had no problems feeding or shedding. He s currently eating every 5 days.

For the past two weeks, he has been extremely defensive in his tank, every time I go near his tank, he comes out of his hide and rises right up to the glass in a striking position, a couple of times I ve put my hand near the tank and hes actually tried to strike me. I ve been too nervous about getting him out of his tank! But I did the other day and once I had him he was literally fine.

I thought it might be because he was about to shed and was feeling a bit weird, but he s just shed and he s still acting like it.

Temps are all good, he has 2 hides and plenty of foliage in his tank, and always has fresh water.

Any ideas?
1 answer 1