How much should I charge myself out?

So I started my own business to subcontract under my dad's business as a carpenter. He paid me 25$/hour, no benefits, no overtime. He suggested I sub under him because sometimes we don't have enough work or there's a transition between jobs. So I'm sort of stuck trying to get by for a couple of... show more So I started my own business to subcontract under my dad's business as a carpenter. He paid me 25$/hour, no benefits, no overtime.

He suggested I sub under him because sometimes we don't have enough work or there's a transition between jobs.

So I'm sort of stuck trying to get by for a couple of weeks, meanwhile I could have done some odds jobs under my own name, and he gets that.

So I got insurance, license, cards, etc. And he asked me what I wanted to be paid as a sub, I said I would sit on it and we can discuss it later and he was happy (we have a good relationship).

So since he's not paying for employment insurance on me, or tools, gas, my vehicle insurance. And all the other things an owner would typically have to do, in construction. I assume my rate would go up?

We are in commercial construction, I'm a carpenter who has been framing, forming, installer, finishing etc for 8 years with my dad.

Would 30$/ hour be more appropriate ? Thoughts? Now I'll have to pay for my own vehicle, gas, insurance, tools, maintenance, etc etc

I've heard of not ticketed subs charging 50 or more per hour and that's typical.
9 answers 9