Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 6 months ago

Would you say I was rude?

So a girl was telling me about problems with her boyfriend and then I said ''80 years from now, both you and your boyfriend will be dead and it won't matter'' so she got mad and left. I wasn't even trying to be rude to be honest. Just saying it was not such a big deal.

• susan
    Favorite Answer

On the bright side, at least you found a way to end a tedious conversation!

• GEEGEE

Your response would be applicable to just about any dilemma but not necessarily appropriate.

• Orla C

A bit. I think you were very unsympathetic.

• Jim2

Well.. I would not say you were rude, but eighty years is a long time to wait! Maybe you could have said Time heals all wounds. Or better yet, come up with a solution for her problem.

Rude and insensitive and sounding cold and like you don’t care.

People have feelings you know!

Or don’t you?

Are you cold and sociopathic with no emotion?

As that’s what that type of person would say..

You are no friend to her.

Think before you speak or you’ll lose friends fast..

• Lita

Yes, you were rude. You were factual but didn't need to be factual in that way at that moment. You were rude.

Maybe a little, but I think you made a good point about self-absorption and the silliness of adolescent drama. No wonder she got mad.

she thought it was

Yes, you were rude. And callously cruel.

For one thing, while it is true that 80 (or so) years from now both she, her boyfriend, you and I will all be dead, it does *not* follow that nothing about us or our lives will matter then - the whole world as we know it now is the result of the sum total of the lives and actions of previous generations, and the world as it will be then will include the effects of who we were and what we did . For another thing, just because a person knows their grief will end eventually (if only with their death decades into the future) does not make it hurt any the less right now.

Yeah, you were being insensitive.

There are much better ways of saying it's not a big deal but even then it's not what she wants to hear anyways.

She is just venting, if you brush her off and in such a way too it will just make her more angry.