Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCell Phones & Plans · 7 months ago

Can someone track your exact location from your mobile phone device?

Is that possible?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Alex
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

It's possible. There are in fact apps that will let you share your GPS location with other members of your chosen contacts list.

In my family we use it. It's nice to be able to look at it and see that someone who was going to the store is still there when someone notices that we need something. If for example...if a friend calls me up and asks me to make a few dozen cupcakes and I'm out of mix, I can look, see that someone is still at the store or is somewhere they can hit one on the way home and then send them a text or call and ask them to pick it up.

Now that's the benign way. There are more malevolent ones. A compromised phone (installed an app that gives undesired control to someone else for example, malware infected phone, etc) can share the phone's location to others who have the ability to pick up the signal and through that...they can know where you're going.

• Login to reply the answers
  • SRΛSC
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

If you send the location or give them access to that location, yes.

• siti7 months agoReport

Yes

• 7 months ago

Depends on who the someone is, which apps you have on your phone and how exact "exact" needs to be.

The cell phone service providers get your location on cell basis. That's all they need to know.

Some apps will (try to) get your location based on available (and already mapped) WiFi conections, or your GPS position, and forward this position to, well, that will depend on the app.

If you call emergency services, they will ask you to release your GPS position or, depending on the network you're currently booked in, retrieve your GPS position automatically.

Anyone with the technical knowledge can set up an IMSI catcher an, when you're in range, get your phone position pretty accurately. Illegal (and easy to catch) if you don't have a judge's permission.

Since a cellphone is a transmitter, anyone with a directional antenna and some basic RF knowledge can get your position (and that of any other cellphone) while you're within range. Pretty much useless, though, as it's very difficult (and, again, possibly illegal) to filter out one specific phone from the crowd.

Oh, and there's the "silent SMS", a technique formerly employed by state security (at least over here) where they send an SMS to your phone that won't show up, and the phone would respond, thereby telling the provider its current cell (which the provider would then have to forward to said security under judicial order).

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Anymore they can

• siti7 months agoReport

Yes

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

They can get very close

• siti7 months agoReport

Yes

• Dze
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

yep .. turn it off if your worried about it ..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.