Is it normal for a Chinese parent to spend $10k on their son, seemingly to try to make up for having been a **** parent?

So I have a friend whose boyfriend is Chinese, but moved to me and my friend's country with his mom some years ago. He's a young adult now, and his father started sending him money some months ago. Monthly payment as well as money for good grades in school etc. Just whenever there is an excuse to send... show more So I have a friend whose boyfriend is Chinese, but moved to me and my friend's country with his mom some years ago. He's a young adult now, and his father started sending him money some months ago. Monthly payment as well as money for good grades in school etc. Just whenever there is an excuse to send money, he will.

Now, my friend went with her bf and his mom to China for a trip, and they have both recieved some well filled red envelopes, and expensive gifts as they have gone shopping with the dad at least twice in the first couple of days. I'm talking a total amount of like 10 grand, altogether.

Is this normal? Or should I be worried? They seem to be taking it a bit jokingly, including the mother who thinks it's just fair and square of the dad to pay up after being an asshole. But in my world it's a little bit too crazy to just carelessly spend ten thousand dollars on their child and the child's girlfriend, in the span of a few days. I assume he must have a pretty prestigious job, but I realized I never thought to ask my friend about it.

Thanks for your help :)
Update: ok so i'm gonna rant a little bit because i really want to delete this question but stupid ******* yahoo won't let me??? what the ****?? why can't i have the ******* right to delete my question after an answer is posted? it was a stupid shitty spam answer as well, saying something that didn't even... show more ok so i'm gonna rant a little bit because i really want to delete this question but stupid ******* yahoo won't let me??? what the ****?? why can't i have the ******* right to delete my question after an answer is posted? it was a stupid shitty spam answer as well, saying something that didn't even make no goddamn sense, why?! i really hate yahoo now and i don't feel safe at all using their account!!!!!! **** **** hell
Update 2: also i want to just use this place to fake rant about my parents who won't stop comparing me to other people in my class!!! i think i'm worth a lot in myself so why do that? i also think it's really unfair that they get to go out and eat together every friday night but i have to stay home and take care... show more also i want to just use this place to fake rant about my parents who won't stop comparing me to other people in my class!!! i think i'm worth a lot in myself so why do that? i also think it's really unfair that they get to go out and eat together every friday night but i have to stay home and take care of my brother like what the **** is up with that i have a life too mom !!!!!
Update 3: i mean ****!!!! when did you ever care about me as well ugh i hate everything i really do and no one ever ******* understands me and i'm really mad now after the yahoo **** storm as well ugh i don't want to go to school on monday. but i still ******* will just to get away and to go see my friends!!!!!!... show more i mean ****!!!! when did you ever care about me as well ugh i hate everything i really do and no one ever ******* understands me and i'm really mad now after the yahoo **** storm as well ugh i don't want to go to school on monday. but i still ******* will just to get away and to go see my friends!!!!!! stupid ******* ****. i'm also ******* tired of taylor swift likewhat a stupid song who asked you to sing about gays in your ******* song, when it could have been a good one otherwise??!! *****
1 answer 1