Logan
Logan asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 6 months ago

Why do people ask yahoo answers instead of looking it up themselves?

Favorite Answer

They do it for the human interaction here on YA, just like you have done with this question. A google search would have shown you this question has been asked thousands of times.

With many questions, you are correct. However, a question like "Who was the backup center for the Celtics in 1968?" may take some searching and you may need to go through dozens of web pages in your search. Ask that same question on YA and within 24 hours, you have the exact answer, with no effort from several Celtic fans.

A student working on a paper may ask, "What were the causes of the Civil War?". The google result for that is totally overwhelming. On YA, a brief, clear paragraph that will suit the student's need may be obtained, if lucky.

Think of it this way. Google does not provide answers. Google provides information for a person to determine the answer themselves. On YA, a person tells you the answer directly, no thinking. It works like when you were a kid and you said "Mom, how do you spell Mississippi?" and Mom said "Look it up in the dictionary !!" Mom if she answered with the spelling was YA, the dictionary is google. Same concept.

• .

For human interaction

Because they are lazy

Because they lack good internet research skills

Those are just a few possible reasons, as it's true that a large % of the questions posted on the site, are ones a user could find the answer to by doing a quick internet search (and the info they find in that manner would be at least as, if not more, reliable).

• don r

Many have tried and after no success appeal to others who have had more experience. Nobody was born with an MLIS degree. YA can be a learning experience.

Because sometimes they are looking for reassurance (especially when it comes to health issues) and not just answers.

Pure lazyness. They should also ask family members because often - the answer is right in front of them.

Some things are a matter of opinion.

But others are things that can be found in wikipedia. Maybe some are lonely.

Could also be kids looking for homework help. Some questions are 5th grade level.

To get other people's opinions

• Ala

They want the personal touch.

• Daniel

Sometimes its just Easier to Ask on here then Looking it up on Google and Yahoo After all thats what this Site is for to Ask Questions and get Answers to them

If people dont Ask Questions then there would be no Purpose for this Site

I know many times I have Looked something up on Google or Yahoo and It will Either Give me Sites that dont give me good Information about what Im Looking for or It will give me Sites that have nothing to do with what im Searching

Probably to get the funny responses

I’ve wondered this, anything I wanna know I just google it. I just like to come on here and give my opinion on things. However I guess for some questions it’s good getting new advice and opinions on things rather than read up old stuff.