Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 8 months ago

what kind of college major does not require students to get internships how will they gain practical learning experience?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • :)
    Lv 5
    8 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Nursing doesn’t require any externships, but they are highly encouraged. However, school clinicals provide you with a good amount of experience.

I would say almost everything in the medical/health field does not require any internships. Teaching as well, because your school will provide you with field experience.

• oldprof
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

BS. MDs have to spend several years as Interns after they graduate before they can practice. Clinical Psychology require 2000 hours of internship in California. Similar for pharmacists, they serve internships. In fact, the medical profession is more likely than not to require internship.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 months ago

I have a Computer Science degree. I feel like internships aren't necessary. Especially if someone can build project on their own.

• John
    Lv 5
    8 months ago

Very few majors have a mandatory internship as a requirement. I had to do a mandatory internship while taking an upper division Political Science course. It was a requirement of that particular class, however, and not required for the major.

• 8 months ago

That depends on the university. At mine, internships are not required, but most majors have some available for students who want to do them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

Since most majors do not lead directly to jobs in the field -- you have to earn a graduate degree to work in them -- most don't require internships.

However, internships are highly advisable in majors that CAN lead directly to a job right after graduation: computer science, engineering, IT, business.

• 8 months ago

Actually most majors do not require post-grad internships. But voluntarily doing summer internships in the domain of your major is a great help in getting that first real job after graduation. So in doing that you start off with some of that "practical learning experience."

Do not treat the summer jobs lightly. First, they're tough to get because everyone who understands their importance will be vying for the same summer jobs. have a slam-bang resume' that sets you apart from all your classmates for example.

Second get a letter of recommendation from your summer job boss. You'll append that to your resume' for your first job hunt after graduation. That will help set you apart and above your peers who are also vying for that job. From experience, I know some bosses are not very good at writing recommendations. Be relentless, but kind, and insist on that letter.

There are of course some majors that do require post-grad internships. Clinical psychology, for example, requires 2000 work hours in a clinic in order to be certified to practice in California.

But the number of majors requiring post-grad internships is small compared to those that have no such requirement. To my knowledge, none of the STEM majors requires post-grad internships for example. But, from personal experience, summer jobs in STEM enterprises can give you a leg up coming graduation and your first job search.

• ...Show all comments
    • oldprof
      Lv 7
      8 months agoReport

Gee that's funny Lili; my daughter in law has an MA degree that says Clinical Psychology on the diploma. And what makes you think there are no majors in post grad studies? I have an MS and a PhD, both have the major written on them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.