You have a mixture of CaCl2 and NaCl in solution. Predict Flame test,Reaction with sulfate,Reaction with carbonate,Reaction with bleach?
- pisgahchemistLv 76 months agoFavorite Answer
CaCl2 and NaCl ....
1. Yellow color of Na will dominate
2. Sulfate - CaSO4(s) will form
3. Carbonate - CaCO3(s) will form
4. NaOCl(aq) - None ... some bleach may already contain Ca(OCl)2(aq), and bleach contains NaCl.
Cl2(g) + H2O(l) --> HCl(aq) + HOCl(aq)
2NaOH(aq) + HCl(aq) + HOCl(aq) --> NaCl(aq) + NaOCl(aq) + 2H2O(l)
This is a solution of bleach: NaCl(aq) + NaOCl(aq) + 2H2O(l)
It contains some excess OH-, making the solution basic. Some OH- is produced by the hydrolysis of OCl-. You don't want it to become acidic, which would shift the equilibrium back toward Cl2, possibly giving off chlorine gas.