Does anyone have a good rhubarb pie recipe?

I don't like rhubarb, myself, but it's growing in my yard and my bf wants a pie. lol

So, I need a good recipe.

Thanks!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • denise
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Similar way to apple pie really, if you cook down the chopped rhubarb first with lots of sugar to balance the acidity, if you use some orange juice in the poaching liquid & a little powdered ginger it also makes a good flavor.

Leave the rhubarb to cool and thicken, draining any excess juice so your'e crust does'nt get soggy.

Make your pie as you do usually.

Any leftover syrup can be poured over ice cream or stirred through yogurt / cream / custard.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

If you have any strawberries or raspberries, mix them with the rhubarb. Oatmeal/brown sugar/nut crumb streusel makes a great topping.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Use the same recipe as for apple pie.

• 7 months ago

Try a Crisp instead of a pie.

You do not have to worry about a soggy bottom and you can make it in almost any pan, metal or glass.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • tony
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed

4 cups boiling water

1-1/2 cups sugar

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon quick-cooking tapioca

1 large egg

2 teaspoons cold water

Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)

1 tablespoon butter

Place rhubarb in a colander; pour boiling water over rhubarb and allow to drain. In a large bowl, mix sugar, flour and tapioca. Add drained rhubarb; toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk egg and cold water; stir into rhubarb mixture.

Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of the pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim. Add filling; dot with butter. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Bake 15 minutes.

Reduce oven setting to 350°. Bake 40-50 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.

• 7 months ago

tons of them on line.

You can make it like you do apple pie or add other fruits or make it a custard rhubarb pie.

• 7 months ago

There are lots of good pie recipes online but the way I use rhubarb is to make it into a sauce that I put on cole slaw (way better than a mayo based sauce). Cut up the rhubarb, fry it in some butter to soften it up, and blend it up with some vinegar, sugar (or better yet strawberry jam), and salt and pepper. Use that as a nice thick cole slaw sauce or it can be used on ice cream or many other things (with a bit of sweetness rhubarb actually tastes quite good in my opinion, and it's good for you too).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.