Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 5 months ago

Why do conservatives think embryos have a heartbeat at 6 weeks?

It’s all anti choice propaganda.

“To wit: though pulsing cells can be detected in embryos as early as six weeks, this rhythm — detected by a doctor, via ultrasound — cannot be called a “heartbeat,” because embryos don’t have hearts. What is detectable at or around six weeks can more accurately be called “cardiac activity,” says Robyn Schickler, OB/GYN and fellow with Physicians for Reproductive Health. The difference between “cardiac activity” and “heartbeat” may seem linguistically minimal, but Schickler and others argue otherwise. At this stage, she says, what doctors can detect is essentially communication between a group of what will eventually become cardiac cells.

“From very early on, different cells are programmed to do different things for what is eventually a fully functioning human body,” says Jennifer Kerns, an OB/GYN and professor at the University of California in San Francisco. “These are cells that are programmed with electrical activity, which will eventually control the heart rate — they send a signal telling the heart to contract, once there is a heart.” It is this early activity which ultrasounds detect — not a heartbeat”

Update:

But obstetricians say the term “fetal heartbeat” is misleading, and that this scientific misunderstanding, among countless others, may contribute to negative public opinion toward abortion.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Best Answer

OK, I'll split the difference with you - no abortions after five months.

• Sherri
      Lv 4
      5 months agoReport

I agree with this, most pro choicers would

• 5 months ago

I'm more of a social liberal, but I am anti abortion

• 5 months ago

How about 9 months?

How about 2 months after birth?

Why not 12 years after birth?

• Sherri
      Lv 4
      5 months agoReport

Doesn’t answer question at all

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

do conservatives think embryos have a heartbeat at 6 weeks

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Mainly because they are not embryos, then are unborn children who do have a discernable heartbeat at 6 weeks. In fact it happens BEFORE that.

An unborn baby has a heartbeat as early as near the end of the first month of pregnancy, during week four or week five, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. This is just two to three weeks after conception. By this time, the heart is actually pumping blood with a steady rhythm.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/242600-when-doe...

Or perhaps even earlier. https://winteryknight.com/2018/01/11/new-study-unb...

They are unborn babies at the moment of conception, aborting them is murder. Period. End of discussion.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Just keep piling up the dead babies if that makes you feel good.

• Sherri
      Lv 4
      5 months agoReport

99% of abortions happen first 6-8 weeks And happen in pill form where they embryo gets flushed out like a miscarriage. No dead corpses, Jesus get educated

• 5 months ago

Life begins at conception .

What decision we make about the point in a pregnancy, at which we feel "comfortable" with ending that life, is then a matter for society and the law to make

Your sort of dancing on pin heads is simply a fig leaf to cover up this simple awful truth .

• hoarseman
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

"Personhood" ! It is this sort of cowardly self delusional nonsense that give liberals such a ludicrous reputation for the irrational .

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

I don't know, but why do Liberals want to murder new born babies?

• Brian
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

They are misguide uninformed religious people who can't think for themselves.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

I know.....when you want to kill a baby u need to rename everything......then it makes it gooder.

• Sherri
      Lv 4
      5 months agoReport

Rename what? A heartbeat? The one that doesn’t exist at 6 weeks?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.