Need a new mattress - where do I start?

This is probably going to sound "stupid" to a lot of people, but things like off-gassing and chemicals are huge to me. I try to live as healthy and "clean" of a lifestyle as I can. Learning that many "common" mattresses are capable of off-gassing for like 10 years is really scary.... show more This is probably going to sound "stupid" to a lot of people, but things like off-gassing and chemicals are huge to me. I try to live as healthy and "clean" of a lifestyle as I can. Learning that many "common" mattresses are capable of off-gassing for like 10 years is really scary. I've heard the VOCs can cause reproductive harm, different cancers, etc.

I am far from comfortable with the suggestion of buying an "old, used" mattress that has "already off-gassed". I don't trust that due to risks of bug bugs, mites, bad personal hygiene of the former owner(s), etc.

What should I do? I've looked up "natural/safe" mattresses and a lot of them are AWFUL in price (aka like $3,000). I cannot afford that for a MATTRESS! I did come across one that was about $700ish which is more reasonable than the former price I mentioned, but still not quite in my budget at the moment.

I know I need a mattress. Mine is old and it has started really squeaking as well. Speaking of which, are there any solid ways to have minimal-no noise with movement?

Is it true if you buy a "regular" mattress, you'll be exposed to a lot of nasty stuff that can harm you and your ability to have children and stuff? Would using a mattress cover help at all?
Update: Like I said - I know I need one pretty bad. I'm aware that "traditional" mattresses can range from a couple hundred to a couple thousand. I know you can find good deals. I just really fear the potential of harming myself with my new mattress. Speaking of that, since I am on a bit of a budget right... show more Like I said - I know I need one pretty bad. I'm aware that "traditional" mattresses can range from a couple hundred to a couple thousand. I know you can find good deals. I just really fear the potential of harming myself with my new mattress. Speaking of that, since I am on a bit of a budget right now, where is the best place to score comfortable mattresses/covers for a decent price that won't break the bank? I'll need something to put the mattress on to keep it off the floor too.
Update 2: I should also note, even if it won't "hurt you" exactly, I still do NOT like strong, nasty chemical odors. It's really harsh on me. That's one reason I switched to natural cleaners and stuff. I couldn't tolerate the nasty fumes of "traditional" ones. I have sensitive skin, so... show more I should also note, even if it won't "hurt you" exactly, I still do NOT like strong, nasty chemical odors. It's really harsh on me. That's one reason I switched to natural cleaners and stuff. I couldn't tolerate the nasty fumes of "traditional" ones. I have sensitive skin, so that's why I switched over to more natural personal care items. All those changes just got me thinking about OTHER things I need in daily life, so naturally, needing a new mattress got me thinking.
Update 3: Any suggestions for a good, comfortable mattress that does not smell bad? I would prefer a full or queen size (to fit me and my partner). Also, is it true a mattress cover would actually make things worse because it would "hold in" the chemicals? Would having an air purifier help "catch/trap"... show more Any suggestions for a good, comfortable mattress that does not smell bad? I would prefer a full or queen size (to fit me and my partner). Also, is it true a mattress cover would actually make things worse because it would "hold in" the chemicals? Would having an air purifier help "catch/trap" any VOCs the new mattress may release? I just want a new, good and comfy mattress that won't harm me/my partner's health or negatively impact us.
1 answer 1