Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 6 months ago

Is 'he supplement' grammatically correct? "It was with veterinary requirements that my horse supplement his regular diet with horsey granola?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, it is correct. After certain words like advice, recommend, order, etc. the subjunctive form is used.

It was recommended that he GO to the doctor.

The general ordered that he BE discharged.

The advice from the vet was that the horse supplement his diet.

• 6 months ago

Yes, this is grammatically correct: the verb 'supplement' here is used in the Subjunctive mood. It's widely used in American English, but a British speaker would more likely say 'that my horse should supplement his diet' ...

The fact that the horse would not actually 'supplement' anything is irrelevant to the grammatical correctness of the sentence.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

It's 'supplement'. 'We recommended that he supplement his horse's diet' ... rather than 'We recommended that he supplementS his horse's diet'.

• Mike
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

or "horse's diet is supplemented with..."

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Sure, or to use the subjunctive, ... 'that the horse's diet be supplemented with' ...

• 6 months ago

"It was with veterinary requirements that my horse supplement his regular diet with horsey granola?"

Try this "Veterinary advice was that I supplement my horse's regular diet with horse granola"

A horse cannot supplement his own diet. Think about it.

Source(s): I'm English
    • "It was with veterinary requirements that my horse supplement . ." might be correct grammar in American but certainly not in English

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.