Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsBirds · 6 months ago

Foxes keep eating the chickens, how to protect the chickens against it?

• oikoσ
    Favorite Answer

Chicken wire keeps the chickens in but does not keep the predators out. I kept losing chickens until I turned a solid building into a henhouse and close it every night. Their run is surrounded by cyclone fencing and roofed enough to keep out birds of prey. I do lose some eggs to black rat snakes but they pay for what they take in rodent control. BTW, I use chicken wire under the cyclone fencing to deter burrowing; I've also lost chickens to dogs.

arm them. everybody's gangster till the chickens start shooting

Shoot the fox, its the best and most effective way.

• patty

u may need a large wire cage to keep them in

They need to be put inside the coop and the coop protected every night with chicken wire. Raccoons and foxes will kill and eat chickens if you don't.

Give the chickens a gun each.

What, no enclosed coop? How out a watchdog

This is what I would do: fully enclose your coop with chicken wire, even the outdoor part if there is one (make sure there are no gaps). And then get a good dog and enclose the dog in a fence around the coop (and then let the dog chase away the foxes). There's still no guarantee but that should at least help.

Keep a big dog in a kennel next to the cage

• David

Buy some hound dogs to protect the chickens.