Are some actors better on stage than on screen and some better on screen than on stage?

Favorite Answer

I think some actors are better at connecting with a live audience and other actors are better at connecting with a camera and a few actors are equally good at both.

• Who

yes -

the scenes you see on screen are not shot in the sequence they appear on the film

(you may get several outdoor scenes and several indoor ones

but youcan bet all the outdoor ones are shot over a few days and the indoor ones over several more days

the film editor mixes the different indoor/outdoor together in the correct sequence

but scenes on stage are

THIS means that

a screen actor dont have to memorise their lines in the sequence they appear in the story

they also dont have to memorise all of them - they only have to memorise the words they are gonna speak in their next shot

A stage actor does have to learn ALL the lines- cos there is no going back and redoing a scene they forget

(I an not saying learning lines for the screen is easier than for the stage - it may be more difficult - cos on stage the words are telling a complete story in sequence - So if you know the story it could help you remember the words cos they are telling that story

yes and they are too different mediums

I know a friend who's an experienced theatre actor: I've heard her condemn film acting.

Yes the two mediums are very different and requite a different set of skills and talents.

I much prefer stage work to film work. More connection with the live audience.

Definitely, actors on screen probably make loads of mistakes filming. But the end product makes them look amazing. Wouldn’t look that well when there on stage and don’t have the liberty of making mistakes

Absolutely.

Ditto singers. some are much better on stage than in a recording studio.

We all have different skills and even within the same skillset, we all have variations on that too.