Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 6 months ago

Driving a 98 ford ranger 20k miles a year?

98 ranger 180k miles in phenomenal shape but my new job Has a decent commute and I’d be driving about 20-25k miles. Regardless of the gas mileage is it ok to drive a truck that old that much? It’s all high way miles about 55 mph very few turns and very little stop and go. Thank you.

If it’s well maintained it should be no problem. Remember highway miles are more gentle than city miles on the vehicle.

Idk maybe it's good

Make s few changes. Use DENSO TT LASER IRIDIUM PLUGS. USE AMSOIL POWER FOAM TO CLEAN THROTTLE BODY And idle sir control valve. Use PENNZOIL PLATINUM. OIL THAT GIVES 500,000 mile warranty. Use FUEL EFFICIENT tires from Michelin or Yokohama. And drive with CONFIDENCE. There will be ZERO WEAR IN YOUR FORD engine. As it has SILICA GLASS COATING. EXPECT 20 % more mileage and power.

• lowlevel

Lol.

Sounds like salesman talk.

Kind of like when you install all of the fuel saving devices on your car and add up the claimed gas mileage savings.. you wind up with more gas than when you started.

As long as you follow maintenance procedures, it will last. I'd go with a synthetic oil & a K&N oil filter. Use the best (About $300) & check the coolant, battery, everytime you get gas. Check for leaks often. It's a good truck.

Please, Don't do anything different than your doing now. Sounds like you've done everything ok so far. Change the oil & keep Cooling system. Clean and you'll do fine. Dirt is the killer of Engines always has been. Drive it until you retire Then give it to someone in your Family. For another 500,000 Miles.

• M.

It's basically engine wear and tire wear.

Non-stop highway driving is the easiest on the engine (and drivetrain) and the brakes.

My old Ranger work truck (2.3 L, 5-speed manual transmission) has 225,000 miles and runs well.

If it was a Toyota I'd say ''no worries'', but my experience with high mileage Fords hasn't been good even under those easy driving conditions. If I were you I'd move close to my new job if you plan on keeping it awhile or get one closer to home. Sometimes earning a little less to drive a short distance will leave you with more money in your pocket. Either way, a short commute will leave you less tired, be less expensive on gas and maintenance, and with far less exposure to accidents, breakdowns and hazardous weather. .

• Fred

Vehicles that do long trips most of the time seem to get great long lives. My sister has a Land Cruiser from the 1990s which has done at least 30 miles minimum trips and quite a few trips of 200 miles or more. The vehicle has done over 500,000 miles and still runs beautifully. I recently drove the vehicle back from her daughter's place 2,000 miles away and it was beautiful to drive. There was little sign the vehicle had such a high mileage.

It is the short stop start trips, especially in cities that wear out engines, brakes, clutches etc.

• WB

As long as you keep the maintenance up, it should last a few more years. The driving you describe is the easiest miles on a vehicle. I sold a 1988 4 cylinder Ranger last year, and the owner loves it. That 1988 should last until they outlaw gas. Parts wear out on a vehicle, but if you change those parts (brakes, shocks, clutches, timing belts, etc.), the vehicle will still keep going. There are cars over 50 years old that are still going strong.

• L.N.

It will be fine until it's not. Highway miles are fairly easy on a vehicle compared to city driving, but 180k is a lot of miles and eventually it will give it up. It all depends on luck and maintenance.