Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 6 months ago

Is it wrong of me to get annoyed with my girlfriend's cooking?

I do most of the cooking cos I love it and my gf doesn't. I bought some avocado just to make us a simple breakfast of smashed avocado on toast. I would have done it with some salt and pepper and a squeeze of lime juice. I was busy doing something and my gf said she would do it but she has just mashed the avocado and not added anything to it so is a bit bland. I get frustrated with bad food but i don't want to upset her!

• denise

Chill out! just put some seasoning on at the table.

Or do it yourself!

• IvaB

Everybody should know how to cook,including your girlfriend.Mashing an avocado with a fork is not cooking.You could have given her instructions or she could have asked what to do.This imo is not a cooking question.This is a relationship problem.Why are you afraid to talk to her about her cooking ? Does she react badly to advice or criticism? Is it your fear or her reactions ? She should learn how to cook so she can carry some of the responsibility in your relationship.If she refuses,think of finding someone else.

Try it without any adulterants. You might get to like the taste.

Your gf was kind enough to make breakfast for you. Be thankful for that.

Try asking her to join you in the kitchen to "keep you company". Ask her to help with some of he tasks, like making the avocado spread for tacos, giving her a complete instruction. The poor girl wants to help, but her mom probably cooked out of the freezer. But be forewarned. If she really takes a shine to cooking, she may crowd you out of the kitchen.

I'm totally sexist and racist but I'm not sexist or racist but...

Alot of women don't built or earn skills or character because they don't have to. Everything will be handed to them. If you do in any way try to teach her to cook; you are being rude, calling her stupid, and saying you hate her, in her mind anyway. So that puts her off learning anything even more.

It's very frustrating to be in that situation. You are right to feel that way and there is no good answer to your problems better than "learn to deal or force her away." In the big picture of a relationship, lunch shouldn't be a deal breaker but the overarching behavioral patterns we both described may be. You both seem unwilling to have an honest and open relationship nor change and grow together, meaning you will only grow apart.

A good relationship means doing the hard work, sometimes (tactfully) informing the other person that "you act like such an idiot and it makes me want to walk out and leave your fat *** to wallow in your mess." We know that "upsets" them so we don;t until we do burst out in so many words. Until then, the hide in the bedroom until they know we miss their companionship enough to not care about the original issue. Ain't love grand?

What..you could not sprinkle a bit of salt and lime juice on yours?

If she made it the way she wanted hers great. You can adjust yours.

• Becky

Nope she is trying. Maybe take a nice cooking class with her. Or plan a nice date to try a new recipe together.

She is not a mind reader. If you don't like her cooking, tell her what she can do to make it better.

In this case, you should have said, "Thanks for helping... it needs a quarter tsp. of salt and pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice." She doesn't know what you like if you don't tell her. You don't have to be annoyed or mean about it.

Yes, it is wrong. You were too busy to do it and your gf just wanted to help. I think you will get over and under seasoned avocado toast. If it is that important to you than don't get busy doing something else when your gf is hungry and wants to eat.

I think you need to get over yourself,and concentrate on real problems in life,other than if your avocado is abit bland.