Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 6 months ago

Checking the oil in car makes no sense?

If I check it when it's hot it will be a quart low, if I check it when the car is cold it is full. Should I add two more quarts?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Joe
    Lv 5
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Best to check the oil while the engine is running. You may need six quarts.....

• BJJ
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

OMG , and this answer was chosen the best answer !!!!

• zipper
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

For the truest reading you always check the oil when it is cold, when it is hot the oil is through out the engine and takes time to return to the oil pan. Dip Stick!

• 6 months ago

It's to make sure it stays healthy and in good condition

• Fred
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The low reading on the dip stick when the engine is hot may be because the oil is still dripping down through the engine after it has been running, but when cold all the oil has dripped back into the sump so appears as so the oil level is high. Read your owner's manual and see what they say about checking the oil as they may specify at what temperature you should be checking it at. To me if the oil shows full on the dip stick when cold then it already has all the oil it needs. Overfilling engines with oil too far above the full mark can actually damage engines.

I am unsure whether some cars have any sort of non return valve on the oil pump or oil filter to hold oil up in the engine so lubrication can start quickly, and if they do then if all the oil drains from your oil filter back into your sump then this may account for such a large change in oil level between cold and hot, as if such a system does not seal properly then oil could be back flowing into the sump when the engine has been turned off for several hours and the filter need to refill slowing the lubrication start up down. Empty oil filters generally need a quart or two of oil to fill. Maybe ask a mechanic to be sure.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

3 quarts is even better. But, hey, I'm a car dealer.

• 6 months ago

Check the oil level on the motor dipstick with the motor turned off. Pull the dipstick out and wipe it. Then put it all the way back in and pull it back out and check the level. You're doing something wrong.

Why the hell would you add two quarts if it's only down one quart jojo?!

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Ron
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You have got to be a troll

• 6 months ago

Check your car when it's cool and you're on level ground. Don't check it when it's hot. Adding a pint of Lucas oil stabilizer we'll stop that draining from the oil filter back to the pan and make your engine last a little longer in the process.

• Phil M
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

There shouldn't be that much difference between hot or cold. Since there is, you must not be waiting long enough after you shut off the engine to check it. Wait at least one minute before checking. And for best results, pull the dipstick, wipe it off, then check it again.

• BJJ
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No the oil level should be checked when the engine is cold and with the car on level ground

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.