should I buy a used PT Cruiser? if so what year and model?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • In
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I had a black 2004 PT and I loved it. I didn't like the lackluster acceleration on the automatic version, so I bought one with a Getrag 5 speed stick. Unfortunately I have a lead foot, and the clutch was about to go at 88,000 miles so I traded it on a new 2010 Challenger SE. I love my Challenger, but I miss Darth Vader. As far as what year to buy, I did not like the gray bumper covers on the early models and I didn't care for the 2006 face-lift, so I would pick 2003-2005 myself.

ADD: My 2004 PT had the 2.4 liter non-turbo engine and shared the same platform as the Cirrus and Status, not a Neon. The PT Cruiser was assembled in Toluca, Mexico for the entirety of its production run. A quote from the link below for the haters:

"In 2001 Car and Driver acknowledged the PT Cruiser on its Ten Best list and the PT Cruiser also won the North American Car of the Year."

• 5 months ago

Sure, if you don't mind the head gasket blowing

• F
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO! (and that's not to get up to 15 characters)

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Any year.

Buy 4-5 of them. Drive one, when it breaks down, leave it on the side of the road and take an Uber home to grab another one. Should be able to make it a year or so until you run out of them, then just buy another couple.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • g
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No, Ron, please don't, for your own sake.

The PT Cruiser was one of the poorest quality and unreliable automobiles to ever roll of a Detroit assembly line. Essentially, a POS.

Keep shopping.

• 6 months ago

PT Cruisers are not known for good reliability, even when they were new. So, if you find one you like, have it fully inspected by a mechanic before you buy.

• 6 months ago

I've heard (here) that they're built on the Neon platform, and Neons are well known POS cars, so............

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Enthusiasts of that vehicle seem to prefer the 2001 to 2005 models. However, as with any used car, whether you should buy it depends entirely on condition. If you do not have the skills, knowledge and experience to do a thorough pre-buy inspection and you are unwilling to pay a shop to do it for you, then you shouldn't really own anything but a new car. The PT has a reputation for mediocre reliability so if you want an older vehicle of that general boxy hatchback / quasi station wagon body style that is highly rated for reliability, look for a Scion Xb or Hyundai Elantra,

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

It's obvious that you're not smart enough to make your own decisions. Ask your mommy. Maybe she knows.

Buy what you can afford to pay for and to maintain.

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

All PT Cruisers are used at this point since the 2010 was the final model year.

Should you buy one? Only you can decide that..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.