Best book on collecting Mosin Nagant rifles?

Favorite Answer

The book in Bear Crap`s link is very good and lots of info but the main thing about collecting a lot of things is to discover what kind of collector you are. If you have a lot of money then you can buy them all when you come across one. I don`t have that kind of money.

Just like coin collectors there are types of collections. I spent a lots time putting together a date set of pennies and when i went to show it off people just glanced at it and handed back my book. People are just fooling themselves that deny wanting to show off their collection but that aint me i enjoy sharing my rifles with like interests.

Mosin Nagants are dated so if you are that kind of collector then have at it but you will mostly do it for yourself, just like the date set of pennies you have seen one you have seen them all thing.

I am a type collector and just like a lot of mosin collectors i started with a 91-30 with a hexagon receiver then a round receiver then m38 then m44 and later m39. My collection is growing and when people look at my rifles they spend at least 30 minutes. Knowing a little history about each rifle is ok as long as you put a time limit on it before it gets boring to some. dont like a lot of rattle about how they quit making this in 19 blah blah and france or germany did this or that but some eat it up. Thats the kind of stuff you get from most lengthy books.

I took a gunsmith course a couple years ago and learned about the mechanics of mausers and even fitted a bolt assembly that i made but the mauser i had at the time was my hunting gun so i did not want to have it apart to do something else to it. Thats when mosin nagants became project guns and they were a lot cheaper then at about 100$ apiece. I like type collecting mosin nagants and have not lost interest so far.

• BBean

Brando and Bear Crap are doing about all that can be done anyway, Gary.

• Toruko

"900 Days". Complete with all reference sources,

how the Mosin Nagant was employed and why.

.